Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Peer pressure me.  (Read 2023 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Peer pressure me.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 10:03:26 pm »

posting to follow this one.

I'm curious what will come of "peer pressure fort"
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 01:20:57 am »

This feels less about peer pressure and more like someone is projecting their submission fetish through Dwarf Fortress.

Good on you.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 06:37:46 am »

I got a sense of that too but it'll be fun to see how this goes, whether or not it's a closet turn on.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:28 am »

My suggestion is you play around with the raws that affect world generation. You get heaps more sites which match your expectations. You can change advanced worldgen params, or do modding. I won't cover the params, but these are the modding things I have tried, amongst others:-

- Remove AQUIFER tags from all substances. So all sites are aquifer-free. No more site rejections just on this quality, ever.

- Remove all soil types which are not sand or clay - guaranteed of getting either one, or both.
I have done both of these, and my enjoyment has increased dramatically. I like having the "perfect site" with respect to available materials, and then modifying that by embarking in good/savage/evil/dry/wet/etc. terrain as desired.

I also modded:
- Kobolds to be [NOEAT] and [NODRINK]  (So they don't starve in worldgen.)
- Cobaltite and Cinnabar to be iron ores.  (This means that veins of iron are probably 100% likely at all sites, even if "regular" iron ores are missing entirely.)
- [PET_EXOTIC] tags are all replaced with [PET] so that the broken/missing dungeon master isn't required.

I've been very happy with this setup, though I usually only tend to play until I get up to around ~100 dwarves or so. I also modify worldgen to create larger areas of warm, moist forests, so that I have plenty of wood for bins, beds and burn. (I've recently started playing with the mesh sizes in worldgen to try and get somewhere closer to what I want, which is more forests and less grasslands, but without eliminating deserts/hills/etc.)
Pages: 1 [2]