Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Defence  (Read 2624 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Defence
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 05:12:17 am »

[...] Each weapon in the trap gets three attacks, and there are ten of them in the trap. That's thirty attacks. Per trap... [...]

This might seem a little nitpicky, but the three attacks per weapon is only true for serrated discs and large spiked balls. Most other weapons only get one swing each. The odds are still well in your favor though.

Before 31.25, I'd use green glass serrated discs, because they were cheap and it was more likely the goblins would be thrown off than sliced up. I haven't made one in the newest version, but I have plans to do so... with a special, complex rising-magma trap underneath instead of a death-drop. Still working out the how of it, though.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 10:18:52 am »

A good device add-on for any defense is the manually resettable pressure plate.

First level

Code: [Select]
f-W
Second level
DhW
Third level
FPW

W=wall, - =pit, f=floor, h= floorhatch, F=floodgate, P =pressure plate. Principle is basically fill the pit with water(pond). Have another pressure plate(resettable) placed in path of any invaders. When it is stepped on, being linked to the hatch, will open it, dropping the water into the room below containing the water sensitive plate. Which is linked to a drawbridge(drawbridges, etc.). The great idea behind it is as long as the water in in the bottom chamber, the object linked to that plate will be activated, until the lever linked to the floodgate is pulled, emptying the water, thus removing the pressure from the plate. Set water settings for plate from 2 to full. Remember just to deactivate the pond area when its full, and use resettable pressure plates. If you are confused, check the article on the Wiki.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 01:00:07 pm »

Thanks to the dodge-em trap set up I actually lived through my first siege!!. Have it pathing via a 1 x 10 long corridor and then a 10z deep pit at the bottom. Killed everything my hunters/marksdwarves missed.

The top path is weapon traps loaded with training spears. At the bottom i've got 5 x 10 room full of serrated discs incase something lives... nothing yet though. Question though, how do I get my freaking dwarves to actually pick up all the items that I claim. Some I've claimed have been sitting there for nearly a year.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »

What items are you claiming and how are you claiming them? If you're just unforbidding them, then you need a stockpile for them to carry the items to. However, it's easier to unforbid and dump the items and have them carry it to an assigned garbage zone.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 01:20:53 pm »

It seems to be mainly the high quality armour that my non-existant military needs that is still down the bottom. They managed to go down and pick up all the fairly useless stuff but left all the good iron / steel items that I claimed.
Before you ask, yep have a pile for armour..
Will try the dump items thing next.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 01:24:44 pm »

It seems to be mainly the high quality armour that my non-existant military needs that is still down the bottom. They managed to go down and pick up all the fairly useless stuff but left all the good iron / steel items that I claimed.
Before you ask, yep have a pile for armour..
Will try the dump items thing next.

Are you sure that the leftover armor at the bottom of the pit was the proper size?

Anything that says "large X" (large copper helm, large steel breastplate, etc) is only useful for melting or selling.
Pages: 1 2 [3]