Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas traps.  (Read 383 times)

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gas traps.
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:06:50 am »

Yup. Think about it.

So there's a room full of treasure and whatnot, an adventurer walks in, steps on the thing and BLAOW gas comes out and all the doors close. this is only useful in adventure mode though.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Gas traps.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:14:21 am »

Only useful in Adventurer? hWrong!  How would this not be applicable to Fortress Defense, exactly?

Sadly, theres no gas in the game beyond dust and mist.  But once that's changed there are many options for gas-based poisons and many different delivery systems.  Most of which can be done already, with a healthy application of magma.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:52:51 am »

Yes, using a magma pit and having barrels of some substance that boils at magma temperature with some sort of associated syndrome that are triggered to drop into the magma, and flood the room with syndrome-laden mist is currently possible with modding...

It's just that right now, simply dropping magma probably takes less work, and is more effective, anyway.  (Unless there's some sort of creature that's immune to magma, but not to syndromes.)

Generally, I wouldn't worry about it, this sort of thing will come when we have better alchemy and syndromes in general.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:34:53 pm »

The Closest thing i could think of in Dwarf fortress when i hear "Gas Trap" is the Knock-out mist Cave-ins generate(Unless that is removed in the latest version)

But, yeah, magma should do the job