Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floodgate status?  (Read 465 times)

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floodgate status?
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:13:00 pm »

How can I easily tell if a floodgate is open or closed?  I don't see any difference when I look at them with {k}, and they don't seem to have a {q} menu. 
Randy...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floodgate status?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:14:47 pm »

If you floodgate is closed you can see it on the map (the [X] tile).  If the gate is open however, the tile will only show the floor, or water/magma if those substances are now flowing through the open gate. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:20:27 pm »

it should probably also be mentioned that you can only open a floodgate by means of a lever attached with a mechanism.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:31:34 pm »

Thanks very much.
Randy...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:45:48 pm »

No problem. :D

By the way, from personal experience I recommend both reading over the wiki on mechanisms/trap components, and actually building stuff in game to test out how it works.  Don't actually include the water/magma until after you think you've got a handle on what will happen, or you'll get to enjoy some unexpected !!fun!!  ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 11:08:02 pm »

I'm certainly doing both of those things.  The entry for floodgate doesn't include this information.  Anyway, I now see a problem with my setup that I won't be able to fix until the next winter freeze 9 months from now.  There's a small plant on the square with the floodgate (how the hell does THAT grow there?), so I'll have to dig out the ice, tear up the floodgate, build a floor there or something, then reinstall the floodgate for the next thaw.  And to think...I'm just trying to drain a damn moat with a floodgate at the drain end and a floodgate at the fill end.  I totally understand how it's supposed to work, I just didn't expect a seedling to screw it up.
Randy...