Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower of DOOM  (Read 1219 times)

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower of DOOM
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:57:42 pm »

I am endeavoring on my first proper megaproject.

A nanofort circular floor plan tower, about 10 urists in diameter.

all dwarves work and live in this fort, Its floors descend until the first cavern, after which I have begun tunneling a great pit of equal dimensions to the tower.

No dwarf may live or work in space OUTSIDE of the tower, as I have run out of lower floors I have been forced to build upward. Except for the last three floors which are granite the ENTIRE tower is obsidian. The upper levels are obsidian blocks, the lower are natural and engraved, I do not intend to be casting anytime soon although perhaps after the great pit reaches the magma sea I will construct a temporary pump structure to the top and make new levels through use of magma, till then I probably am going to have a dozen grand master masons before the tower is done.

Now that I have described my project's foundations let us get to the nitty gritty of my plan.

In case it was not obvious the plan is that either after I get bored, or once I run out of Z levels/obsidian I am going to drop the tower into the magma sea, every living dwarf will be relegated to burrows within the tower.

I am anticipating the potential for this ALSO causing a sudden volcanic eruption but that would be a bonus, I think it could be just as fun to see the whole thing sink without even a whimper into the fiery abyss.

However for EXTRA points I would prefer that this doom could be initiated with a switch rather then sending the order for the final miner.

For EXTRA EXTRA points I might try to build a dwarven doomsday clock to initiate said doom, for that to be valid I have to fit the clock within the tower proper.

Any advice?

Oh also goblins are inferior, with a scrap heap of armor traded from the mountain homes and obsidian masterwork blades I have bested everything thrown at me before I noticed it existed.

So suggestions for that would be good too, Random casualties are not an issue I can't keep my population from growing by almost 50 dwarves every year.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of DOOM
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:16:35 pm »

Hum, not just two seasons after posting this a tantrum spiral has started to commence...

There goes my population :).

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:00:11 am »

Lol. There's DF for you.

The leading causes of fortress failure:
1. Tantrum Spiral
2. Overwhelming enemies
3. Poor architectural planning/HFS

I love this game. :)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:29:31 am »

Lol. There's DF for you.

The leading causes of fortress failure:
1. Tantrum Spiral
2. Overwhelming enemies
3. Poor architectural planning/HFS

I love this game. :)

At least those if your fort lives long enough. Before it:

Dehydration, starvation, too much water.

And of course overwhelming enemies.

*Looks at badger.*

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:01:37 am »

Rest the whole building on one support (the construction callesd upport, not a wall!), then link it to a lever. Pull lever and enjoy dining in Hell the circus!

acer_palmatum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:06:30 pm »

I started up this challenge because it sounded like a great defense structure for fort defense challenge and the evil race siege supplement mod.

Embarked on a prime volcano spot directly next to a caldera for multiple magma flood traps. Tower itself is 10x10 and only 3 z levels of construction above ground so far for a quick depot, but it spans nearly 100 levels below ground until it reaches the first cavern.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the top near the entrance is a draw bridge to a central staircase for a quick access to the hive

once the drawbridge is raised invaders are force to take a spiral staircase downstairs through single wide hallways of ballista arrays, weapon and spike traps, magma floods, and cage traps.

After 45 levels of defense the hallway finally arrives at the airlock, which is on top of 4 levels of barracks.

From there it goes barracks -> mastercraft armory-> craft industry -> food industry -> farms -> food stockpiles/meeting hall -> dorms/hospital -> well -> trash weapon/armor stockpile -> magma forges

I did cheat and hollow out a microcline vein for some above ground stone, and in that vein I've been putting all my refuse/coffins. When the tower gets big enough I'll move the mauseleum inside and have a smaller refuse pile with more aggressive dumping into the magma forge well.

Oh, and when I'm done with I'm going to finish channeling around the walls and drop the entire thing into HFS

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:12:14 pm »

Oh, wait, you meant something else, didn't you?

Well, now I have an idea for a megaproject of my own.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:14:58 pm »

In case it was not obvious the plan is that either after I get bored, or once I run out of Z levels/obsidian I am going to drop the tower into the magma sea, every living dwarf will be relegated to burrows within the tower.

This will destroy the tower entirely.  Anything collapsing onto semi-molten rock is destroyed.  I felt I should probably warn you of that before you sent all of that work into the abyss.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 03:48:30 am »

I intended to save it at completion, upload it and let anyone who wants to enjoy the frame rate chugging display of an entire dwarf fortress being utterly destroyed in one motion be able to observe.

The support is indeed the best way to do levers, but I'm suspending the tower OVER a pit that drops clear into the magma sea (after I dam off two layers of cavern lakes) using floors, when complete I don't quite know how to use a support to destroy a floor tile...

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:49:49 am »

Actually I'd say its not entirely inaccurate, I just intend to bring the entire fort into hell all at once without waiting for HFS to nessecarily get out :-P.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 04:12:10 am »

I intended to save it at completion, upload it and let anyone who wants to enjoy the frame rate chugging display of an entire dwarf fortress being utterly destroyed in one motion be able to observe.

The support is indeed the best way to do levers, but I'm suspending the tower OVER a pit that drops clear into the magma sea (after I dam off two layers of cavern lakes) using floors, when complete I don't quite know how to use a support to destroy a floor tile...

Will it be much of a "display"? If cave-ins are instantaneous it'll hang for 20 minutes and then "Your fortress has crumbled". Be sure to have at least one dwarf safely tucked away so you can enjoy the hole where your tower once stood.

As for using a support to cause the collapse:

CCCCC|______|  <-- Constructed floors and bottom level of tower
|              <-- Support and nothing else
MMMMMMMMMMM    <-- Magma Sea

Flick the lever for the support, the floors deconstruct as nothing is holding them up and the entire tower collapses.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 07:55:44 am »

Actually I'd say its not entirely inaccurate, I just intend to bring the entire fort into hell all at once without waiting for HFS to nessecarily get out :-P.

Dwarf Fortress: Invading the invading forces homes!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o