Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dammit Jim, I'm a Planter, not an Engineer!  (Read 741 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Dammit Jim, I'm a Planter, not an Engineer!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 06:34:41 pm »

I've got a brook. Will that help?

Yes. Brooks are fine for waterwheels. And unlike Rivers, they don't contain hungry wildlife.

Channel out the "crusty surface" of it in 3 x 1 tile strips, and install Waterwheels. Brooks are typically four tiles wide, so a 3 x 4 area of your brook can generate 355 Power (4 x 100 per Waterwheel, minus 4 x 10 friction, minus 5 for the mounting-gear) That might be enough to run your entire pump-stack, if the top end of it is close enough to the brook. If not, throw in a few more Waterwheels.
Never pet a burning dog.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:39 pm »

so I can flood Ardentire with magma.

Ardent ire.  Damn.  That's an awesome name.

After 15 years I'm tired of his fortress and want to move on, but my militarty isn't placing nice and keeps killing everything.

Send in the clowns?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 07:06:42 pm »

I've been trying. I was in the process of digging down when I hit the magma sea. I figured it's better than nothing.

I'm currently trying to transfer the power form the wheels down levels. Haven't quites figured it out. But, I have 12 of the things, so I figure whatever mass of tangles mechanisms I come up with, 1200 power should be enough.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 07:49:36 pm »

I'm currently trying to transfer the power form the wheels down levels. Haven't quite figured it out.

Why not attach the power to a pump at ground level?... or does your pump-stack not go up that high?

I'm used to building magma pump-stacks for flooding the world, not for flooding my fort.
Never pet a burning dog.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 07:53:35 pm »

Well, I'm using this to teach myself about pumps and machines and stuff. I'm going to fill a resevoir to make sure I understand how, and make sure it's safe to build maga furnaces and what not atop the resevoir. That resevoir is a couple levels down, near my shops, and the water wheels are on the surface.

Once I get it working, as in seeing it and knowing that I am capable of doing it, I'm going to crack open the wall and give everyone a warm bath as a reward.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.
Pages: 1 [2]