Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Holy Armok That's Fast!  (Read 1012 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Holy Armok That's Fast!
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:20:30 pm »

So, i hadn't bothered to play .25 yet, or DF in general for a few weeks, I've been expecting that .26 will be released "Any Day Now". I've instead spent my time re and rereading Homestuck.

Anyways, Footkerchief dinged me with a message on the bug tracker, so I loaded up an .06 game in .25 to see if the bug still existed (it was fixed). But DAMN, I'm at 111 dwarves and they're just motoring along, I don't recall ever seeing dwarves more this fast in such large numbers.

Did Tarn do some behind the scenes optimizing and I wasn't paying attention? Is it the lack of bees? I've got a massive cavern exposed and the Mayday tileset and I am stunned by the speed. Stunned I say!
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Armok That's Fast!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:47:34 pm »

yes, temperature optimization
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 01:50:20 pm »

The last few updates have included, among many bug fixes, several optimizations. The speed certainly is better. It gives me much hope for future releases.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 02:22:41 pm »

So, he... fixed the code so that various temperatures no long lagged the system?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:23:52 pm »

So, he... fixed the code so that various temperatures no long lagged the system?
He reduced impact of temperature, likely there are thousands of possible improvements like this.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.