Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So if I don't have an aqueduct or an underground cavern lake... (spoilers)  (Read 493 times)

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is all of that blue goodness buried solidly in the magma sea as good as gone? I had access to a small pocket not surrounded by lava, but I ruined it by digging an adjacent tile and flooding the area with lava. My dream of having an adamantine clad non-dangerroomed squad of elite sworddwarfs is going up in smoke before my eyes, much the unlucky miner I just incinerated. Is there any way I can save this?

P.S. the lower levels look much like this too.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could attempt to flood water into the area, thus turning some of the magma into obsidian, thus sealing the gap.

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't have much water, but it's a small amount. Maybe that would work!

Oh, I wonder if I could pump it out? Hmm.

Edit: So I found an unlimited supply of water only 8z levels above the magma sea, but it turns out that an infinite water source dumped into an infinite magma source doesn't accomplish anything.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:09:49 pm by Aeon Blue »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

The trick here is to channel out the floors above all the tiles you want to turn into obsidian, and then let a controlled flood dry up that magma.  If you are able to get a ring of protective obsidian going you can channel that out and continue flooding floor by floor.  That way you'll actually be able to get all the blue stuff you otherwise wouldn't be able to mine if you needed to keep the tube walls intact.
At last, she is done.