Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Games/movies/music that inspire your fortress layouts?  (Read 674 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games/movies/music that inspire your fortress layouts?
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »

For me, it would have to be Oblivion.  For all its faults (and there are MANY), there were areas that truly inspire certain construction projects.  For those of you who played it to completion, do you recall the finale of the Gray Fox missions, where you had to go beneath the main city, wander through endless sewers and catacombs to steal the Elder Scrolls? 

I'm not attempting to reconstruct that area verbatim, but it certainly inspires my catacombs to be huge, twisting corridors, heavily adorned with statues, chests, and other odds and ends.  Beneath that will be the beast pits and prisons for my worst offenders.

The settings in Oblivion were huge, illogical, trap-filled corridors, populated by ghastly horrors and other oogly booglies.  Too bad I can't tell dorf ghosts to hang around the catacombs.

A friend of mine gorgeously recreated the Mines of Moria from LotR in Minecraft.  I expect that probably influenced a number of DF creators as well.

What game/movie settings have inspired your layouts?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:16:53 pm by Kestrel »
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Games/movies/music that inspire your fortress layouts?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:20:30 pm »

I thought once about basing a bedroom design on a visual representation of the Riemann conjecture. Can't figure it out yet, though...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Marklar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:39:46 pm »

Definitely the biggest influence in my case is Lord of the Rings, but ofcourse there are many others, mainly ancient nations like Rome. Then there is the Bible, once tried a Megaproject to recreate the tower of Babel which failed due to not noticing my civ was dead.

Lost in thought I almost got my list to the category of games/movies/music.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 05:42:59 pm by Marklar »
I sense a political conspiracy...Rewriting the story of leader's demise at the hand of goblins to treacherous regicide by fellow dwarfs: "et tu, Urist?"

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 05:53:46 pm »

The Dungeon Maker series on the PSP has granted me some inspiration on occasion. I've yet to really get into making a fort based on its dungeon design, though. For those unfamiliar, Dungeon Maker is a game where you take on the role of a hero charged with building a dungeon capable of attracting the Big Bad, then slaying it. Everything operates in a grid pattern, so it can be fairly easily translated into Dwarf Fortress; the difficulty comes in figuring out how to represent the various dungeon components in Dwarf Fortress, given that the two games have different grid sizes.

So far, I've theorized that a single tile in Dungeon Maker would be best represented by a 6x6 square in Dwarf Fortress. This would mean that all hallways could be two tiles wide, and each doorway would have double doors. It irks my "1, 3, 5" pattern mind, but oh well. Small rooms would be 4x4, long rooms 4x10, medium rooms 10x10, and large 16x16. Hmm... *goes off to actually do some building*
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Thk13421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 06:52:58 pm »

For me, the opposite of this happens a lot.

I DM a D and D game, and I try to write all my own adventures, so playing Dwarf Fortress really helps when I need to think "ok, who lives/lived here, where did they sleep/eat/build, etc."