Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glory for the Honored Dead  (Read 650 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glory for the Honored Dead
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:14:27 am »

Quick question

it's 7am and I'm scared what would happe if I tried to find out for myself, so it's better i ask here.

AFTER a dwarf meets his end, is it possible to assign him a tomb? I know I can do it while they're still alive, but if he's alive then he obviously hasn't valiantly sacrificed himself in mortal combat yet, so it's not an issue. I mean if, say, an axedwarf HYPOTHETICALLY single handedly hold a forgotten beast at bay while the civilians escape, and keeps him from breaching the lower outpost while the real army arrives, and said axedwarf dies right as the army gets there... would it be possible for me to build him a tomb [or have one pre-made and unassigned] and have my dwarves place him there?

Edt; on a slightly related topic, is it possible to clean up the 'deceased' list? I really, really don't care how many bunnies and guineahens i've killed.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Glory for the Honored Dead
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:18:43 am »

You can't. You'll have to fuck around with coffins some - delete any that he gets assigned to unless the possible other casualties are in them. Then make him a sacrophagus out of adamantine, open it to burial, and watch as they put him in it. Then weep into your neckbeard.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:08:25 am »

Evidently no way to eliminate deceased units from the unit list; it is inconvenient :/

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:10:58 am »

It greatly helps if you only ever have 1 dead dwarf at a time when you designate coffins as 'allowed to hold a body now'. If you really really wanted to get it right the first time round instead of having to deconstruct coffins etc, you should change your annnouncements.txt to pause the game every time a dwarf dies so you know exactly which coffin to enable for that body.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:44:40 am »

Though there is one exception I think. If the dwarf has risen as a ghost I'm fairly certain you can assign them a tomb posthumously.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 12:04:18 pm »

Make him a candy-engraved-masterwork-with-all-the-shit-you-can-put-on-it Slab, those are way better to give him an awesome burrial ground, even more if you put him into a same-quality-as-said-above Coffin.

Actualy.. Slab him and them atom smash the corpose. Will look even more awesome