Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have discovered a camp?  (Read 554 times)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
I have discovered a camp?
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:48:08 am »

Apparently on my embark there are a handful of human (?) adventurers.  So far, they're awesome -- they have copper armor and weapons, they kill badgers for me, and despite their superior armament, they seem to be sufficiently cowed by my numbers and architectural prowess that they're not attacking.  Did I luck out and get free guards, or will they eventually grow jealous of the heavily-laden trade wagons and attack? 

Also: other than a pair of chests and some low-rent copper weapons, these guys are pretty amateur hour.  When the goblins show up, they'll probably die valiantly, and I'd like to try to pay the debt of honor I owe them by building them some fortifications.  Will they be able to open doors if I build them a house?  Will my traps treat them as allies?

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: I have discovered a camp?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:50:40 am »

They're "residents".

Your traps will not work against them, even if you piss them off.

They're likely some kind of criminals, of the kind you'd be given a mission in Adventurer mode to kill.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:47:19 pm »

Yes, if you try adventure mode out, sometimes you'll be given a quest to go slay some bandits at their camp. What you described is exactly what camps look like right now.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:50:01 pm »

Any idea whether they can pass through doors?  They seem to be fairly dumb in terms of AI, so it doesn't seem like they'd object to me building them a simple fortress, but I'd hate to coop them up where they would be unable to take potshots at the goblins.

Also, if I made them ammo and left it lying around, do you think they'd use it? 

I think I need to do some SCIENCE...
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:52:21 pm »

I WANT THE SEED

Wait. This is for Fortress Mode, right?

I WANNA PLAY IT D:

I think they can go through doors. Wait, maybe not. Goblins can't, right? And, I doubt they'd take ammo. If they did, they'd be like beer guzzlin' gnomes...

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:58:33 pm »

Any idea whether they can pass through doors?

Sure.

Also, if I made them ammo and left it lying around, do you think they'd use it?

No. They'll only use what they currently have equipped.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 01:06:28 pm »

Goblins can't, right?
Ambushes don't find you too often, do they?
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 01:19:50 pm »

I WANT THE SEED

Wait. This is for Fortress Mode, right?

I WANNA PLAY IT D:

I think they can go through doors. Wait, maybe not. Goblins can't, right? And, I doubt they'd take ammo. If they did, they'd be like beer guzzlin' gnomes...

Yeah, the seed also has magnetite, limonite, and bituminous coal available in the top three or four layers, and ample badgers.  There is a weird spiky mesa that the dwarves chose to park their wagon on, but otherwise it's a nice gently rolling hill area with a fantastic pasture area.

I'll copy the seed for all interested parties.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »

@Falling Whale: They never make it past my military dwarves.

@Jurph: Duude, badgers. That's awesome man. More badger meat! :D I'd have A LOT of fun on this map, for sure...Thanks :D

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.