Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Watter barrels.  (Read 1688 times)

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Watter barrels.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 11:47:37 pm »

LET'S MOD THE RIVERS INTO BOOZE.  :P

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 02:18:30 am »

Yessss. And we could brew water in the still when we need a few barrels. Cause that's pretty much how their usefulness compares.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 11:17:01 am »

A related idea: rain barrels.
Basically, a constructable version of the murky pool.

Being able to buy barrels of water from the caravan, and then pour them into your cistern/pool/drowning trap would be nice for desert maps.  The caravans would love it, since you'd be willing to pay in masterwork roasts.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 12:22:34 pm »

This is both a common suggestion that has been on the board for years, and it was on the old devpage, and is presumably still a part of Toady's plans. 

Quote from: old devpage
Bloat360, OTHER WATER SOURCES, (Future): There should be various additional ways to obtain water. Rain, filling barrels from streams, simple desalination, etc.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 09:19:12 pm »

Would be stupid if you had to collect rain into barrels while you have a nearby river laying around. Same as in roguelikes, you cant keep the bottle from the potion you just quaffed. Particularly jarring in ADOM, where potions of water are mosre universally useful than any other sort, and there is a plenty of water in the game too.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 09:50:24 pm »

Would be stupid if you had to collect rain into barrels while you have a nearby river laying around. Same as in roguelikes, you cant keep the bottle from the potion you just quaffed. Particularly jarring in ADOM, where potions of water are mosre universally useful than any other sort, and there is a plenty of water in the game too.

True, but we are talking about DF here, not Nethack or anything else. If I was in a desert I for one would like the option of collecting water.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 11:49:59 pm »

Let me clarify. It would be stupid to allow the barrels to be refilled only by rain and not from a river, in the same way that it's stupid that in ADOM you cannot keep the potion bottles and fill them with the water which is abundant around you.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 12:06:02 am »

7 units of water would mean that they would have to have the same volume as a square in game. They should hold the same amount as booze barrels do.

Which does, in some way, make it seem odd. A barrel of alcohol can have upwards to 25 units of alcohol (one unit per drink); water in a tile is 7-drinks deep (we know this because a flask or a skin holds up to 3 drinks of water or booze, and I believe is subtracted equally from the water source). We'd either have to redefine alcohol units or water units, or leave the two be; if we go for the lattermost, then a barrel should store the same amount of water as it stores booze with no quality on it (i.e., 5 units).

Of course, water has few intrinsic properties that makes it a commodity, especially a traded one (the assumed technology implies that stored water will go stagnant, requiring it to be cut with booze to keep it "fresh", i.e., grog--but doing this all the time to stretch out your booze reserves some seems like a pointlessly frustrating endeavor). The only in-game aspect I can think of is for centralizing water for farming, especially early on if you don't have an available water source and don't farm above ground (it's much easier to farm above ground, because most ground plants can be easily collected at first, processed into booze, and the repeat with seeds on plots, and then you have a stable above-ground farming system. Unless, of course, you embark into a place with no surface plants whatsoever).

In the end, though, you replace pit/pond dumping with stockpiling. But is that really necessary for this game?
Pages: 1 [2]