Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Stone swords, wooden shields and charge?  (Read 635 times)

raunioilla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Stone swords, wooden shields and charge?
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:52:38 pm »

I built a nice little fortress with ~50 dorfs and was too busy with building magma pump so I forgot to build other defences than just bridge over a chasm and couple of goblins came along. The fort is selfsufficient in wood/steel/food/water supply but I embarked without anvil and nobody brought me one yet even though dorf caravan usually brings atleast one steel anvil :( I can't wait for caravans running into goblins neither wait for more goblins to arrive. My only chance of getting an anvil is to let inside safely a caravan with one. So I have to kill those damn gobos without proper weapons. They are just hanging around somewhere and they dont seem eager to run into traps. My question is: will be 50 dorfs with obsidian swords and wooden shields enough to get 10-20 gobos equipped with bows, axes and some lowtier armor? Or should I try to build more sofisticated trap systems and lure them in there?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:43:03 pm by raunioilla »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Stone swords, wooden shields and charge?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:00:44 pm »

Are the goblins wearing little/no armor?

From what I understand obsidian swords go through skin fine but anything metal will stop them pretty good.

Considering goblins don't tend to wear full suits of armor, it's kind've a mixed bag.

But then again, if they get knocked out, the dwarves will exclusively go for the head, and if they're wearing a helmet, welp.

SO to summarize I'd probably go for traps.

raunioilla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Stone swords, wooden shields and charge?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:42:37 pm »

Half-armoured, iron helm being pretty common. But after sacrificing some puppies and kittens the gobos finally ALL decided to run into atomsmashers/cages/fallingstones or just fallen down the chasm with river below. Dead goblins everywhere. Yeeehaa! Words cant express how much I love this game :D

Problem solved. And thx for the help btw :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:58:42 pm by raunioilla »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: [SOLVED] Stone swords, wooden shields and charge?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:21:51 pm »

Ahaha, well good to see it solved itself.  :P