Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lavish meals considered harmful  (Read 900 times)

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lavish meals considered harmful
« on: December 19, 2006, 09:34:00 pm »

As it is, it appears at most 10 prepared meals can be stored in a prepared meal barrel.  Unfortunately, the higher the complexity of the meal, the larger a stack of food one is likely to create.  So if you make a lavish meal, hoping to make a meal many different dwarves might find palatable, you may find you create a stack of 12 or 20, which won't be stored in a barrel until it is slowly whittled down to 10.

It would be nice if either barrels were made to store more prepared meals, or dwarves were smart enough to split these stacks to chunks smaller than 10 to fit in a barrel.  (Or perhaps even smaller than that if you have a stack of 6, and a barrel which contains 5 prepared meals already, it'd be best if 5/6 of that stack were put away to prevent rotting.)

Perhaps this is more of a feature request?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Lavish meals considered harmful
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:52:00 pm »

It isn't really a bug, and more of a suggestion, but it can be considered odd enough to be thought of as a bug... However, even if you store a meal of 10 in a barrel, it'll still end up being completely useless, because the barrel is at it's max capacity and still takes up one spot in the stockpile.

Definitely needs to be gone over and fixed, not as a bug, but as a gameplay mechanic.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 11:07:00 pm »

thats the best part of stews and roasts! A single stockpile tile can hold over 50 servings.  Even with my cavernous rooms, storage space is always at a premium ... And barrels even more so.  When the traders come I send any meal with 10 or less servings to the depot and trade/offer it to the merchants to free up room for more 50+ meals.  If you don't like thinking of your roasts as sitting on the floor, pretend your food stockpile has some rough rock shelves pre-installed.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 12:17:00 am »

Yes, but imagine if prepared food rots. You'd lose the whole stack of 50.  :(

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 01:05:00 am »

I've noticed that even lavish meals on the floor will go untouched for years, until the barrels of everything else are emptied out; even without an economy in place.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 02:53:00 am »

Prepared food won't rot if it's on a stockpile.  Doesn't matter if it's inside a barrel or not.

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 05:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pacho:
<STRONG>Prepared food won't rot if it's on a stockpile.  Doesn't matter if it's inside a barrel or not.</STRONG>

I guess I haven't played a game with large stacks of prepared food long enough to see if they rot.  Do they /wear/ like meat and prepared fish in barrels do now?

For now, I just switched to making fine meals to reduce the stack sizes.  As it is, I've got two times edible meat+plants+fish as I do dwarves, and probably about the same in prepared food.

If only I could encourage larger influxes of dwarves without attacting nobles too.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 05:52:00 pm »

50!?  The largest sizes I've ever made is like 15.  The way things are, it's probably a waste to have prepared food barrels at all... since it takes up one space either way, I'd rather have the barrel left over.

The real problem is when the prepared meals are left in the kitchen, and rot there.  Sucks losing the meal, which took so many ingredients to make.  How about they bring a barrel with them, to store meals in when finished.  Then it could wait a while for someone to pick it up.

Even worse, meat, plants, and foods from the trade depot will almost surely go bad when you've got a large fort.  Traders should bring food in barrels.  The trade interface already lets you buy the contents of bins, or the entire bin, that would be good for food barrels too.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 09:10:00 pm »

I'm hoping we're eventually given an option to have workers haul their own output to keep shops from getting cluttered.  That would address the rotting-in-the-kitchen issue for the most part.

Having the traders bring food in barrels is a good idea, although that'd double or triple the weight, depending on whether they had one stack[5] or two per barrel.  For now, I just make sure I have lots of food haulers so the queue gets cleared out quickly.  In the future, it'd be great if food (and other?) hauling jobs had priority according to time-to-rot (seeds, neglect; chunks, haul now).

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 10:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by axus:
50!?
Wait, my bad.

[100] prepared food is the max for one stack.

How?
Take 5 plump helmets /sweet pods /cave wheat /pig tails, brew all of them (4 barrels needed) then cook the booze. Bam. 100 prepared food.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 11:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG> Wait, my bad.

[100] prepared food is the max for one stack.

How?
Take 5 plump helmets /sweet pods /cave wheat /pig tails, brew all of them (4 barrels needed) then cook the booze. Bam. 100 prepared food.</STRONG>

Acutally, if you use legendary growers with fertilized fields, you can get even higher than that. I dont have any numbers, though.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 12:09:00 am »

Ahh that's pretty cool, I never cook with booze so never saw it.  Right now I've got more booze than food, but both are in pretty low supply.  Which makes it even more painful when things rot.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 06:17:00 am »

Also works with Dwarven syrup and Quarry Bush leaves (you get 5 from each plant in the stack).