Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Find old fortress on world map  (Read 794 times)

talltrees

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Find old fortress on world map
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:03:22 am »

How does one find an old fortress, or other specific site's location on the world map? can it be done within legends mode?

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
Re: Find old fortress on world map
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:37:23 am »

If I want to explore a fort in adventure mode I usually use dfhack's dfmode.

Alternatively I find the exact location using reclaim on the embark screen, and either write it down or try to remember it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:56 am »

Go to the embark screen and press ''R'' to reclaim a fortress. The game will first take you to the place of the fortress before you accept reclaiming it

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:07:48 am »

Yeah, this is deffinitely a tricky proposition, especially on a large world.  The fact is, each region tile (16x16 embark tiles) is very large.  A Large world is actually about the size of Australia.  So finding a 3x3 square of stairs can be challenging.

For this reason, I build giant towers and excessively long roads to the edge of my tiles.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

armrha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:14:51 am »

Make sure you export a full map either from worldgen or legends. Then you can match up the terrain to your particular site pretty well. Like Dutchling said, choosing reclaim and looking at what is blinking on the worldmap can help you narrow it down a lot, but the exported map that matches up to the center map on the reclaim/embark screen can also be useful.