Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with water fast !  (Read 823 times)

confused DWARF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help with water fast !
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:28:45 am »

My fortress is in a bit of a mess, I had a load of new migrants (now at around 40) and now my food and water is going down pretty fast. I can handle making more food but its winter and theres no water to get at.

My only way to save my dwarfs is to make more beer, but every time i make a new barrel so i can make some i think it gets filled up by seeds which are all over the place. WHAT CAN I DO HELP ME

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with water fast !
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:32:38 am »

In the stockpile menu ('p'), there should be a bit about reserving barrels. Set that to at least 1. It will make it so that there has to be at least that many empty barrels free before the dwarves will start stockpiling things in them.

Also, set up a craft workshop or three and start making large stone pots, which are equivalent to barrels.

You might try using the z-stocks menu to forbid all your bags for a little while, too; I think the dwarves won't stockpile seeds in barrels/pots unless they're also in bags.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

KProject

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:44:19 am »

Set up a 1-tile stockpile that only accepts seeds and forbid all seeds from your other stockpiles. That should keep them confined to one barrel.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:45:47 am »

Adelene had the right advice, plus consider having only one seeds stockpile (disable seeds on all other food stockpiles). You can also change the max barrels on this stockpile to zero, so it only stores bags of seeds, EDIT :but this isn't really necessary, as KProject advised, a single seed stockpile ensures they're packed into less barrels.

You can also allow seeds of things you don't want to grow anytime soon to be cooked at a kitchen (always have a few cooks), which pads out the food and frees up bags / barrels.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:47:46 am by Reelyanoob »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »

A little tip for future forts: buy 10 bags of sand and immediately upon embark make a dump zone and set the sand to be dumped.  You now have 10 bags that only cost 1 dwarfbuck each and should never have a seedsplosion problem.

Another tip, separate your food into multiple stockpiles and only allow barrels to be used on the booze stockpiles.  I use 3 stockpiles usually, one with barrels enabled that only accepts drink and extracts, one with barrels disabled that only accepts prepared meals, then a third really big one with barrels disabled that holds everything else.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

confused DWARF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:50:41 pm »

First of all thanks for all the help!

I tried all your advice, but ive only been playing a short time, and im not sure i was doing what i was told to do right.

Then i remembered from some fan fiction that you can get underground lakes. So i started to dig and dig, and i found a massive underground cave system AND AN UNDERGROUND LAKE. It took a bit of mining to get to it, but finally got there and marked it as a water source, they really ran very fast down all those stairs  :D

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:13:04 pm »

In the stockpile menu ('p'), there should be a bit about reserving barrels. Set that to at least 1. It will make it so that there has to be at least that many empty barrels free before the dwarves will start stockpiling things in them.

Also, set up a craft workshop or three and start making large stone pots, which are equivalent to barrels.

You might try using the z-stocks menu to forbid all your bags for a little while, too; I think the dwarves won't stockpile seeds in barrels/pots unless they're also in bags.

I play this game for about 5 months now, I have opened the 'p' screen about 20000 times, and i have never seen that before...

I don't know if i get mad or happy about it tough