Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apparent bug with moods  (Read 490 times)

Savant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Apparent bug with moods
« on: December 19, 2006, 08:59:00 pm »

There appears to be a bug with moods that when a strange mood dwarf tries to get an item but it is removed by another job first (specifically hauling) that the dwarf will refuse to get a new type of that item, and then  fail to complete his work and go insane.

Here is a specific explanation of what happened:

I have a carpenter who has a mood and takes a carpentry shop. He picks up a piece of wood or two, then sits in his shop only demanding metal bars and wood. I check his profile and notice he likes bronze, and since I don't have any bronze bars made yet I order my metalsmiths to smelt some. After my metalsmiths decide that taking a break and sleeping is their highest priority, I get some random dwarf to make the bars.

And this is where the interesting thing happens. I complete the bars, and the mood carpenter takes about three steps out of the shop, then walks back in and starts sulking again. I look back to the shop and noticed that the bars are tasked to be hauled to the bar/block stockpile. However, even when the bars get to the stockpile and I make some more bronze bars, the carpenter refuses to move at all and fails to make his item.

I'm pretty sure he failed because of those bars since that was all he was asking for other than wood and he didn't like any other metals. I'm not sure if the problem is specific to hauling and stockpiles or in general other jobs taking precedence over moods and completely knocking off their ability to finish the job. This would explain the problems I have where my mood dwarves commonly go insane when they are asking for rough color when I don't have enough bins and stockpile space for all the gems I've found.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apparent bug with moods
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »

that's interesting... i wonder if that's what happened to mason looking for 3 gems - took 2 raw green and then sat around..

(probably not... so many raw green glass lying around)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »

It's possible, but the haul jobs shouldn't be able to tag any item tagged by another job -- the game would be unplayable if they could do this.  And the mood dwarf seems to tag the items, since I've never heard of haulers constantly coming by to take a mood dwarf's objects away.  There's probably some kind of issue, but it seems like it's going to be more complicated than a simple haul problem, and I'm not sure how to start on this.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Savant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:40:00 pm »

Well, the biggest issue is that it seems like the mood dwarf will lock out and forget to get materials when they become available again. Even if there is something going on like with barrels and bins generating lost job errors when another hauler or job dwarf takes the container first, it would not be a big problem by itself. As long as the mood dwarf takes new materials when they are found or stockpiled then losing materials before they are picked up is fine.

[ December 21, 2006: Message edited by: Savant ]

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:38:00 am »

I've never seen that happen, but the fact that he left the shop indicates he was going for something.  Maybe he changed his mind about what metal to get? Just kidding.  They don't strictly go for their preferences (unless that was updated).  Could his path have been messed up?  Try cutting a new path to his shop ;p

Savant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 04:17:00 am »

The shop was outside.