Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entire System Crash  (Read 401 times)

Setzer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Entire System Crash
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:55:00 am »

Hello. First time poster, though I've been playing for a few months. Or trying to.

Pretty much, I'll be in the process of building a Fortress, and my entire computer shuts off. No error message, no sounds, it just flat out shuts off. Nothing triggers it, from what I can tell, and it only happens while playing DF. There's no determining factor, and how long it takes to happen varies. But it inevitably happens.

Anyone know a remedy, or is this a new one?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entire System Crash
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

Could your computer be overheating?

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

Turn off overclocking if you're doing that.  My computer isn't overclocked, but I was having crash problems when my RAM timing was at the max it was rated for.  I dialed it back to average, and the problems went away.  It was strange because I didn't have crashes for 2 years prior, I think the 3D version just hits the computer very hard.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

First, welcome to the fourms! To answer your question, it sounds like you have one of two problems:
a: Overheating, probably on your CPU try running other power-hungry programs and seeing for the same behavior, and look up Speedfan, which lets you see the temperature of your system.
b: The power outlet your computer is attached too is connected to a wall switch...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

I do not think it's a DF problem, probably your CPU is overheating and it turns itself off to avoid hardware damage. Next time it happens, go in the "setup" screen at start and check the CPU temp. Check also the CPU vent as it could be chocked by dust, especially if you live in a polluted area or if your room is filthy!!!

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

I second (or third, at this point) the overheating theory.  DF will dominate your entire CPU's power, in ways that more graphically sophisticated games won't - on my single core 1.8 GHz, multitasking becomes downright impossible unless I pause what I'm doing first, and on my laptop, the area where the CPU lives gets painful to the touch after 10-15 minutes of play.  So definitely make sure you've got adequate heat dissipation.

Oh, and of course, welcome to the forums  :)

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Setzer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »

Wow. I wasn't aware it was such an intensive game.. Well, thanks for the help. I'm glad this is such an active/friendly community, and I'll try out all zee suggestions.