Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Numlock causes constant movement  (Read 494 times)

God of Toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Numlock causes constant movement
« on: December 16, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »

Now, I can't quite post a picture of this so i'll try to describe it.

If I have numlock on, and then hit Shift, and then a number, (So it skips a large amount of tiles.) it will begin to move, and not stop.

I can turn off numlock after this, and it will keep moving. Usually, the only fix is to save and leave the game, which can sometimes be impossible when it starts scrolling around in the menu screen.

Hope this made sense, it doesn't happen very much, since I try to avoid the numlock key now.

chrominance

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Numlock causes constant movement
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »

Workaround: hit the arrow key corresponding to the direction in which the screen is moving. If that doesn't work, try Shift and the arrow key.

randomjgj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:01:00 am »

Try hitting the F11 key twice.  That fixes that behavior for me.
quot;...remember that we are not descended from fearful men..."

E Murrow

God of Toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by chrominance:
<STRONG>Workaround: hit the arrow key corresponding to the direction in which the screen is moving. If that doesn't work, try Shift and the arrow key.</STRONG>

Tried it before, doesn't work.

quote:
Originally posted by randomjgj:
<STRONG>Try hitting the F11 key twice.  That fixes that behavior for me.</STRONG>

Okay, thanks, i'll try that.

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

If you're running the game in Windowed mode, flicking to a different window then back again seems to fix this behaviour.  Tested this with both Vista and XP, worked fine on both.

It may work if you run the game fullscreen, but I'm rather adverse to alt-tabbing with full screen DF.  Lost many a good fortress that way.

~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »

Urgh, this drove me crazy. I assumed it had something to do with a Autohotkey script going awry, and did all sorts of stuff to try to fix it... reset the BIOS, cleared the CMOS, pried the battery off the motherboard. I assumed it was an overload to the keystroke cache, since it would continue to be screwing up, even when trying to reset the BIOS, even before Windows had loaded.