Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some way of making weapons with unique skills  (Read 409 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Some way of making weapons with unique skills
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:00:05 am »

I've been working on a weapon. I'd like it to be the only weapon in its class, so that the only way to train the skill that uses it is to use the weapon itself. I have managed to do this through modding, but at the cost of kicking out every other weapon that uses the Bow skill. Plus, it only works once because I already appropriated the Mace skill for knives (since Knife User isn't a profession).

So what I'd like is a way to create subclasses of weapons that require their own skill.

The original idea was a 'uses unique skill' tag on a weapon, which would cause an urumi (for example) to train its user as 'Novice Lasher (Urumi)' instead of 'Novice Lasher', the latter of which would be transferable to whips and scourges. But that would require more than the addition of a tag, since the game would have to support user-made skills or find a way to apply the modifiers for an existing skill to a meta-skill.

Thoughts?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Some way of making weapons with unique skills
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:31:18 am »

Each weapon could have a number of [WEAPON_CLASS:x] tokens which would allow you to group weapons that are similar in technique. A dwarf who mastered a certain type of weapon would have his skill bleed across when using similar weapons. This avoids him being useless with an unfamiliar yet similar weapon. Using a specific weapon should give finesse that shouldn't carry over. A percentage of similarity to the class might be useful in determining how much skill should bleed [WEAPON_CLASS:name:1-100%].

So each class would be like an ideal which you work towards when using any weapon in that class. Progression towards the ideal would improve basic use of all weapons in that class. To master a specific weapon use of that specific weapon would be required.

In the system roughed out above you'd be able to give a weapon a unique weapon class and have it skill up in seclusion. If percentages are used you could have it be vaguely similar to other weapons for a little skill bleed.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:47:30 pm »

Would that allow for shifting between weapon classes as well (learn hammer weapon -> learn hammer / mace weapon with bonus -> learn mace weapon with bonus)?

Something even more interesting would be to have a system that can be applied to any skill, not just weapons. That way people can have their separate carpentry subskills as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:42:23 pm »

What I would like is some way to just create skills. For instance, I've had an idea bubbling in my head for a while to mod in a "dustmagik" or somesuch workshop that uses its own unique skill to create stones out of the dust in the air and then refine those stones into better stones and eventually metals...but it would need to hijack an existing skill to do it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.