Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you think non-metal weapons other than the few wooden training weapons are a good idea?

Yes, it would allow me to make an effective military earlier.
Yes, it would allow and encourage a greater variety of weapons to be used in a fort.
No, but I'd like to see a greater variety in training weapons.
No, things are fine as they are.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More non-metal weapons  (Read 2371 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: More non-metal weapons
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 05:36:20 pm »

Since when did we have sharp stabby bits on a club? We don't even have sharp stabby bits on War Hammers. If Toady wanted training hammers/maces they would be in.

There's a quote somewhere, but I don't have it right off hand.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 05:48:40 pm »

A training club would be hollowed and wrapped in cloth or leather to cushion what remained of the impact

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 06:39:08 pm »

But what's the point of having training weapons in the first place? They serve no use other then to be exploited. I trained in Martial Arts for a number of years during my childhood. When you spar you don't hit the person as hard as you can, you lightly tap them. Training weapons had a use back in 40d when the Legendary Warrior of my fort had more kills in the sparring room then he did on the field. But now? I haven't seen any wounds as a result from sparing.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:53:39 pm »

I agree with IT.

A wooden club/hammer should also be a training weapon. All wooden tools/weapons should be training weapons as well. It would be pointless to add in both types when they are exactly the same, just with different names.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 10:54:40 am »

Zombat describes it much better than I have. Basically, weapons can only be of a single material at the moment but a training weapon could definitely be much less lethal than a fighting weapon even when made of the same material. Being hollow is easy to apply, and the cloth or leather wrapping can be simulated by increasing the contact area a bit.

And frankly, the training rooms aren't that much of an exploit. The training weapons have only been made a bit -too- ridiculously nonlethal. With well-designed training weapons, they'd be sufficiently dangerous to be realistic, while still not nearly as much of a murderhall as a room full of sharpened spears.
Pages: 1 [2]