Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird Line of sight  (Read 397 times)

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird Line of sight
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:53:00 am »

In adventure mode, my current character is running around in a dark fortress, whacking little gobbies all day long as he goes about it.

Anyways, I go up one floor, and there's huge room otherwise empty save for a few goblins and craft trinkets. The think that strikes me as odd? I can see through the obsidian floor in the two lower z-levels. And I'm several squares away from a staircase or any kind of thing that it would make sense to give me a little peek down.

Take a look for yourself. It's pretty dumb.

This is not a signature.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
Re: Weird Line of sight
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

You can see through fortifications.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

Oh, durr. I'd forgotten about those completely.

EDIT: Okay, but why can I see the fortress that lies directly below me? that just seems kind of weird.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Skeeblix ]

This is not a signature.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

also, when I go down to the floor below, I can see up through the ceiling to some of those piles of goblin bodies.

EDIT: Two z-levels down I can also see all the way up to the top level big open room. Dwarves have x-ray vision now?

This is not a signature.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:06:00 am »

Are there any grates?

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:07:00 am »

None at all. It's all regular smoothed + floors, and none of the levels of the fortress have open space in them.

Like I edited in my last post, I'm two z-levels down and I can still see the big room in ^2 spot.

Oy, here's a good one. I'm outside of the main fortress complex, and standing on open ground, 3 z-levels down, through the earth, I can see a small one width corridor running. This is just getting silly.

This is not a signature.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

Is it possible, that since my adventurer has been in some of these places during his little visit that he may just be remembering what's above and below him? I know I did find an interesting little series of transit tunnels a few levels below the actual fortress, so maybe the game was displaying a section of unhidden area that my character knew about.

Or better yet. Toady, is that maybe what's up? since those areas may be considered unhidden to the character, they're just popping up to show that they're there?

This is not a signature.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 11:28:00 am »

Can you actually see something your adventurer hasn't seen before? On the screenshot you see only previously seen parts of the map, which is expected.

That goblin corpse on the lower floor is green, thus it must be out of sight.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Grue ]

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

Yeah, I'm just gonna guess that it's the adventurer remembering where stuff is above and below him. Though I find it odd that a dwarf would know his exact position in a building in relation to every other room.
This is not a signature.