Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a trick to getting iron/steel items?  (Read 1251 times)

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a trick to getting iron/steel items?
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:42 pm »

All my armor and weapons are fancy-shmancy bronze. Best I can find. I could buy twenty suits, matter of fact. But the best armor I've seen has been a small steel cap I looted off a dwarf (and couldn't wear). I haven't seen anything else in the game that's been iron or steel. Does it have something to do with the advancement of civilization? If so that could explain things, since we're only in year 250. I wish I could trade with the dwarves, but of course their mountain homes aren't actually there when you locate the right plot of land.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a trick to getting iron/steel items?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:00:08 am »

What race are you? If you're a dwarf, loot an abandoned fort of yours. If you're human, and can't find any iron at the shops, find companions with iron armor and let them die off. If you're either of the races, killing larger goblin ambushes tend to help piece together a iron/steel set.

If you're an elf? Go kill yourself and make a dwarf.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:42:57 am »

1. Human. Goblins haven't worn anything better than wool, from my experience. I've only found about 3-4 groups of them though.
2. The dwarves have governmental entities and mountain homes on the map, but I've tried visiting and nothing is there. Also, abandoned forts have nothing but animals, not sure how armor is supposed to be found there.
3. The best armor I've seen on any soldiers has been leather, and the best weapons are bronze. I'm guessing there's a reason for this, but I don't know what it is.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:48:06 am »

iirc, Bronze is better than iron in latest version (been like that since 40d) and you can find bronze and iron equipment from human soldiers in fortresses and i think gobbos also might have bronze (usually they have copper)
only way to get steel itemz is to loot your fortress

Mikko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:17:33 am »

Oh boy.

I know it is confusing to get conflicting information, but let me tell you the TRUTH.

Human shops often sell iron equipment. Your human companies indeed often have iron equipment. Dwarves can loot an abandoned player fort, a fort that you have played yourself.They are the only place to get steel or fancier equipment. There does not exist any other forts at the moment, no matter what the map tells you. Neither there are elven or goblin settlements.

Elite goblins wear iron.

Also, bronze is mostly better than iron.

Edit: For this I am not certain at all, but I think I can remember seeing steel on a goblin once.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:23:10 am by Mikko »

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 07:31:42 am »

Bronze only wins out in blunt weapons. For armor and edged weapons, iron is still better. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Metal
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 08:23:11 am »

You can always mod humans to make steel weapons/armor.

I think, you just need to add METAL_PREF to the human civilization entry and gen a new world. (It won't work on existing worlds.)

Don't quote me on that, it's been a while since I did any modding. If it doesn't work, look for any tokens on the Dorfs that looks like it is steel/metal related.

Otherwise, theres not really a way to get it.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:42:28 am »

Some human towns sell iron stuff, some don't. It seems to be site specific, so different towns in same civilization will use different materials.

iirc, Bronze is better than iron in latest version (been like that since 40d)

Also, bronze is mostly better than iron.

That was the case in early .31 versions. It was clearly better back then.

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:03:32 pm »

Steel items often show up in the lairs/shrines of monsters that have attacked dwarves. A lair/shrine that is near a populated mountain range has a good chance of being full of dead dwarves and their steel gear.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 07:21:56 pm »

I have found steel dwarf (small) armor, not very much of it, but I've never seen any steel human-sized armor.

True you can do modding, but in case you want to avoid modding/hacks....

If you build a fort, all of the stuff will be scattered on abandoning the fort. The only way around this without using dfhack or something is to make heavy (iron or lead) bins and get all of the good stuff placed in them. For the most part heavy bins won't scatter very far and their contents will stay put.

Walking around finding all the cool stuff might be kind of fun also, but with scattering I think stuff can end up anywhere such as caverns, maybe even the normally inaccessible bottom layers, or other places that you might not be able to get to. Certainly things can end up in the water so make sure to start out as a novice in swimming, at least.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 10:24:19 pm »

I guess in the game that prompted this thread neither of the two human civilizations were producing iron at all. I started a new game as a dwarf (thinking the only source of iron was from the corpses of dwarves found in monster lairs), but I started off inside a shop that sold iron armor. That was a cute little slap in the face.  :P

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 04:35:19 am »

fight kobolds, thay have no armor but can use steel.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG