Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Danger rooms  (Read 1199 times)

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger rooms
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:26:19 am »

I am on my way to build one of the basic danger rooms, and control them all with a lever.

But, what the problem is, is that i don`t know how to assign all the spikes to 1 lever. how can i do that?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:30:15 am »

'q'uery the lever, 'a'dd a job, link to 'S'pikes.

Repeat for every square of spikes in your danger room (which optimally would be one).
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:38:13 am »

Repeat for every square of spikes in your danger room (which optimally would be one).

Only 1 square? ... /Facepalm

okay. then 9 isn`t a good plan.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 09:59:59 am »

Large danger rooms are cooler though, even if less effective than basically having a dwarven closet stuffed with sardines recruits being continually poked with blunt sticks...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:07:42 am »

You can queue up to .... 10 thinks to link to a lever at once, though a mechanic must link all of them one by one. BTW - linking needs to be done one per trap regardless of how many spears per trap.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:25:53 am »

You can queue up to .... 10 thinks to link to a lever at once, though a mechanic must link all of them one by one. BTW - linking needs to be done one per trap regardless of how many spears per trap.

Thanks. :D got everything working properly now.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:59:49 am »

just noticed something..

When my soldiers get a special rank ( like legendary swordsdwarf ) and goes off duty, it says his skill is "rusty" .. what does that mean? also,
they lose their cool legendary avatar sometimes. :/ ( i use pheopus pack )

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:20:16 pm »

I was making my danger rooms 3x3 at first, but 1x4 works OK if you build it well.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:52:52 pm »

I prefer 3x3 up to 3x5.  It just takes a while to wait on the mechanic to finish all the work.  To make it faster, create a mechanism stockpile and a training spear stockpile right by the danger room ahead of time.

Also, make sure the danger room has a bit of a buffer around it.  If you tuck it in too tightly with the rest of the fort, a squad-move order might result in some of the squad standing on the other side of a wall.

Lord_Alorand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 03:48:38 pm »

I thought 1x1 and even 1x4 danger rooms would be less likely to train dodging, no?

Not that that is a bad thing what with all of the dodging off of cliffs riverbanks and bridges dorfs like to do.   ::)

Also how do you get all the sardines soldiers into the 1x1 can?

PS. who here likes to add 4/7 water to their danger rooms, to help the sweating dwarves cool off a little.  :P

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 03:50:45 pm »

I have two 3x3 danger rooms and I had so much trouble getting the squad in there... it bugged on me when I accidently set all my civilians into it and they started to just, hang out in there, I had to reload!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 03:56:06 pm »

I have never had problems stuffing squads into danger rooms. I create 3x3 rooms with the middle square having an armor stand/weapon's rack, and with a door and walls. Just create a new room from the stand/rack, and assign it to the squad with "Training" setting. Disable training settings from any other areas assigned to that squad. There you have, they'll be in that room while doing nothing else (eating, sleeping).

acer_palmatum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 03:56:51 pm »

I thought 1x1 and even 1x4 danger rooms would be less likely to train dodging, no?

Not that that is a bad thing what with all of the dodging off of cliffs riverbanks and bridges dorfs like to do.   ::)

Also how do you get all the sardines soldiers into the 1x1 can?

PS. who here likes to add 4/7 water to their danger rooms, to help the sweating dwarves cool off a little.  :P

swimming danger rooms is what i have transitioned to.

normal training for most of the journey and then some light spike action under water once they have really proved themselves

boyhowdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 04:10:12 pm »

Also, make sure the danger room has a bit of a buffer around it.  If you tuck it in too tightly with the rest of the fort, a squad-move order might result in some of the squad standing on the other side of a wall.

As Dantrithor mentioned, use a weapon rack or armor stand to designate your danger room as a barracks.  Mine has a weapon rack divided from the rest of the danger room with door that I set as internal and forbidden.  That way every tile the dorfs can stand on has a trap on it and you don't have to worry about stationing them.

Something like this:
Code: [Select]
WWWWW
WSSSWWW
DSSSDAW
WSSSWWW
WWWWW

W = Wall
S = Upright Spear/Spike
D = Door (left is entry point, right is forbidden, internal)
A = Armor Stand/Weapon Rack

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 04:15:52 pm »

My danger room is 1x2, because making another 70 training spears would take way too much wood...

Still, I got legendary shield users, so I'm happy.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!