Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grazers V.25  (Read 1624 times)

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grazers V.25
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 05:49:22 pm »

Well, the area was cleared from trees (but there are still some saplings) and plant gathering is another problem right now (I've incidentally had it e while I was still buying stuff - now my herbalists and brewer are sparring with all those dorfs who preffer herbs over meat and I have a hard time to provide them with booze)....
And before .25 I never had any problems in having pigs/sheep/goats/buffalo in the same pasture - and I am still down to just one sow and one deer in addition to the three (ok, just a second ago now 4 - cow/bull/bull/juvenile) buffalo... but I think I handle it (2nd year, mid spring - all those buffalo will be sold to the hippies once they arrive!)... so far neither the sow nor the deer seem to be problematic, so I just get rid of the beef and trade in some sheep or goat (and I always thought goats are a hazard to environment (but they also could feed on nearly anything.... so a good dessert (stays dessert) domestic one))

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 07:04:45 pm »

Ok, def. some new code.... I've saved those three via a change in the raws (just adding 11 infront of the 60 -> 1160) and once they where no longer hungry that was set back to 60.... and now, just a season after that they are beginning to starve again - though I've set a pasture zone with max. area possible..... I really don't know whats happening

What's happening is that you set it back to 60. Keep it back high until Toady fixes grazing and they won't starve.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 07:33:12 pm »

What's happening is that you set it back to 60. Keep it back high until Toady fixes grazing and they won't starve.

What I meant was that I don't capture what was changed during V.23 and V.25 ;)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 12:56:56 pm »

What I meant was that I don't capture what was changed during V.23 and V.25 ;)
So, what you're saying is that having livestock is still inefficient to the point of worthlessness? I lost about 16 yaks this fort.

I guess I should have known that.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 01:58:20 pm »

Small / medium livestock is fine (think goats, alpacas, pigs, sheep) but the larger livestock requires just way too much surface space that I don't bother with it (unless I have half a dozen layers of soil).

Fowl and nest boxes is my primary source of non-plant food, plus whatever the hunter drags home, plus whatever non-pet grazers show up with the migrants (that go straight to the butcher shop).

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »

One thing I should probably mention, the checkerboard pasture system causes a lot of of "pen/pasture large animal" spam. Hadn't noticed that before I mentioned it. Try locking the milker and shearer in with the livestock and enough food and drink for a couple of months.

Is there a labour permission that stops dorfs wrangling animals? I suppose it's not realistic for someone to see a water buffalo roaming about on it's own and just ignore it, but having a miner traipse halfway across the map to deal with it isn't much of an improvement.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 03:47:56 pm »

I noticed in my last game that my Yaks and WB kept following each other on to tiles. Especially the new borns. So they'd follow the same path as another animal and find no grass and end up starving. It was getting so bad I was putting 2 and 3 animals in max size pastures to avoid it, and I STILL saw some animals grazing on the same path as another. I don't know if this is really the culprit, but perhaps animals aren't searching intelligently enough for grazeable tiles anymore.

I was also getting fighting announcements from huge pastures and very few animals and again, it was always the newborns that were involved. That says to me that there is a problem with animals correctly seeking grazeable tiles.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 04:02:46 pm »

Newborns tend to stick with adult yaks, so what I've done is setting an independent pasture only for males, another for females, and a last one for calfs. That way you (mostly) keep them from starving, and you can keep 2 males + few females to breed while sacrificing calfs as they reach adulthood, without worrying too much about starving yaks.
Pages: 1 [2]