Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bugged pathing with pond filling  (Read 438 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Bugged pathing with pond filling
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:07:00 am »

I dug an outside pond, which first trapped my miner until I built a ramp up.
But then.. I managed to get it designated as a pond and a dwarf started filling it with a bucket. When the pond (the floor one level lower) was filled with 1/7 on every tile, the stupidest thing happened:
The dwarf filling the pond took the bucket, walked a few steps with it and dropped it again. And kept repeating until I decided to give up the pond and turn it into a pit.  Only once in a while it would manage to walk to the swamp (only 6 steps away) and fill the bucket. Strange part is that it just LOOKED LIKE HE WAS TRYING TO FILL THE POND FROM ITSELF because the repeating action was along the border of the pond.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bugged pathing with pond filling
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:32:00 am »

I saw something similar, and received a lot of cancelled actions.  After looking into it I was seeing that the bucket wasn't quite empty.  The bucket concatined "water covering".  I can only guess that water in the bucket got evaporated on the very short walk between filling the bucket and dumping it.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

StormDragoness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:20:00 am »

I believe as far as zoning goes, marking the edge of the pond is what counts, not the hole itself.

I have not tried it, but programming wise it sounds like a persistent order saying "bring full bucket of water here, and empty into open space to the <direction>", of course more elaborate than that, but in simplified terms I think it is accurate.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »

Incidentally, did you designate a water source zone?  I'm not sure what the end result would be even if you did.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!