Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Basic Modding Information  (Read 1647 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Modding Information
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 03:33:55 pm »

Blunt weapons have a weight-to-damage ration, so a hammer made from silver is awesome, but edged weapons use shear statistics, which means they're calculating how sharp and edge they can have and how much force it takes to deform them.

None of the above applies to 40d.

adamdesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 03:44:26 pm »

oh cool. thx. so yeah i just want a formula lik in math if you follow. like you can tell me how to do a problem, and ill do it, but then there'll be another problem and ill have to ask you how to do it again. if you teach me the formula i can do any problem that follows that formula by myself. i dont wanna be told how to a certain thing, i want to see the big picture. can anyone help me with this?
If My Name Was Urist I'd Kill Myself-Urist McSuicide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 03:53:17 pm »

For creatures: Definitions begin with CREATURE:(ID), wherein ID can be anything so long as it's unique. The list of tokens is here. They're aren't any restrictions on which order you put things in; if two tokens conflict (very rare) the latter one will take precedence.

Everything that's going to be wandering the world needs LARGE_ROAMING and some BIOME tags to appear properly, while everything that's going to appear in a civilisation needs to be referenced in an entity entry - they work a bit like creatures, but define civilisations instead, and have their own tokens. Generally, all of the files work in the same way.

Have you read the 40d modding guide? I know you said you looked on the wiki, but it seems to explain things fairly well.

adamdesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 04:20:05 pm »

hmmm yes i now understand the creature template thing. haha i mean the [CREATURE:ID] and then list name and population and whatnot. the only problem i have now is creating a body for my creature. i don't know if im doing it right or wrong. i have previously posted my code (being the original post) for the duck. since this is 40d there is no duck at the moment so the id "duck" shouldnt be a problem. at this point i know where to put my info, i just would like to know if my codes are right :p. yes to be honest i skimmed it for body information so ill go back and give the guide another look. thanks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 08:01:49 pm »

Which version of 31.xx did you try to run, and was it Legacy or SDL? They've been improving in speed since the first 31. version, and fooling around with the cavern layers and geography also provides speed boosts.

The duck looks okay I think, although you could add [ LEFT] and [ RIGHT] to things that are on the appropriate sides of the body (on preview, I guess that you did. Write your stuff like [ code ]<text>[/ code] without the spaces to get the forum to read it properly). [FANCIFUL] makes the creature widely known as a legendary / mythical beast, which you may or may not want. Adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC] allows you to embark with ducks, so you can test them for obvious problems.

Your ducks age very oddly. They spend a year as babies (don't know what this does with animals), grow into adults at 13, and then live for 20-50 years. They're also lacking a name for their children ( [CHILDNAME:duckling:ducklings] ), but I can't remember if this matters in 40d.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

adamdesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 09:58:46 pm »

ok i have no idea what the first two or three sentaces you said meant haha. i don't know what legacy or any of that is.

for the code thank you for the advice. ill the the domestic creature. that'd help alot. also i copied the baby/life span from other species so ill be sure to change them. thanks for the pointer.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 10:57:06 pm »

There are two versions of DF 2010 available. SDL has the graphics card improvements, and Legacy doesn't. SDL is faster for most people. Try downloading .25 (both versions) and creating a small world with a short history, then embark on a small flat site (like 2x2). There are more levels in the 2010 version, so it makes up for the loss in surface area.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

adamdesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 04:28:25 pm »

ok well i have the SDL. it's a bit slower but ill c if i can make it work. also do you know how to make it run full screen? it wont work for me :p

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 08:05:19 pm »

You should be able to press the 'maximise' button in the top left, just like any other window. Pressing F11 also takes the game to full screen, but this causes a crash to a black screen for me.

adamdesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 09:30:36 pm »

F11 causes black for me too but also the maximize button does nothing for me strangely.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13:19 pm »

Top right (damn, been ages since I did that).

That is odd. Altering the settings in data/init/init.txt changes the number of tiles displayed in windowed mode, which effectively changes the window size.

adamdesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 02:17:04 pm »

yeah i'll try to mess with that for awhile.

also, remeber when you told me [COMMON_DOMESTIC] would make my duck available to embark with at the start? well do you also have to have the duck tagged as being domestic or some other tag to make it work? or does it just work by itself?

adamdesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 05:39:34 pm »

okay i FINALLY did it!!!

i have my duck in working order as well as 10 new weapons and a dragon named trogdor :p
thank you so much for everyone who had input in this thread. i couldnt have done it without you guys.
Pages: 1 [2]