Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunters Forget to Return Kill  (Read 1474 times)

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunters Forget to Return Kill
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:44:00 am »

Hunters have a tendency to very often leave their kills on the field.  This is aside from an interrupted Return Kill task (which is another issue).  Rather, a hunter will simply kill something while Hunting, then Hunt for something else.  I'm not exactly sure what causes this, but my guess is that if the hunter scores a hit that sends something flying, they won't recognize the kill.

keturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://keturn.net/
Re: Hunters Forget to Return Kill
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »

Second that.  My hunter is returning some of his kills, but not all of them.  And I think most (if not all) of the ones he's not returning have a trail of blood at the scene that suggests the kill was sent flying.  I've watched him and seen this play out -- kill goes flying, he leaves it where it lands, but the next kill doesn't fly and he brings it home...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:29:00 pm »

Okay, I'll check that out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

baq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 04:31:00 am »

mine was running circles around a pool near which there were two dead wolves and a killed dog.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »

I just watched a hunter bat a deer several tiles through the air and pick up the corpse to return it, so that might not be it.

Alternate theory: hunter shoots something and wounds it, it runs out of range, hunter forgets about it, then it dies from blood loss. Hunter doesn't care because he's already off hunting something different. This would explain the blood trails that forgotten corpses tend to have.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

This is still happening. Doesn't seem to be on every map, since some of my Forts do quite well with hunting. But my latest one has my hunters wandering around slaughtering herds of Horses and groundhogs with their crossbows and just leaving the kills lying on the ground.

Can't seem to get anyone else to go pick up the corpses, either.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

What I see is a hunter shooting an animal, that animal runs behind some trees (breaks line of sight) and dies of wounds.  Hunter did not see animal die, thus he continues hunt (and oh gee, look at that, a random corpse on the ground).

You have to use the orders screen (press o); in the refuse submenu, tell dwarfs to collect refuse from outside.  Thats how you get peasants to run out and pick up all the dead things - problem is that they pick up ALL the dead things, including dead vermin.  Alternatively, make a custom stockpile under the kill.  That will generate a butcher job, and the butcher will go collect it.  (then just remember to go back and remove the stockpile, or you will end up with random splotches all over the terrain).

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Entropy:
<STRONG>What I see is a hunter shooting an animal, that animal runs behind some trees (breaks line of sight) and dies of wounds.  Hunter did not see animal die, thus he continues hunt (and oh gee, look at that, a random corpse on the ground).</STRONG>

A reasonable-seeming Toady-side fix would be to make a hunter who sees a butcherable corpse switch into "return kill."  Or just make all butcherable corpses create "return kill" jobs or whatever.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

Would need to check to make sure the corpse is butcherable too.  I don't want them goblins and elves cluttering up my corpse stockpile with their stink.  I prefer dead elephant smell.

EDIT:Duh, I didn't notice you said that already.  My brain is short on Dr Pepper today.

[ February 22, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 02:26:00 am »

I second this bug.  Or twelfth, as it would be ^.^

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

I have this too. My hunter just kills animals and leaves. I want the leather and bones from those things dammit.

He also does not gain any skill in ambushing.