Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots of idlers, but there are lots of things to do. What gives?  (Read 721 times)

theli0ndwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have 6 dwarves. My carpenter died after he went insane and drowned in the brook outside my fortress after hunting for some small animal. I still have no idea why that happened.

Anyways, I have jobs set for cutting down some trees, fishing, mining, but my dwarves are ignoring me and are just sleeping & drinking. Did my carpenter's death depress them so much that they don't want to work?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of idlers, but there are lots of things to do. What gives?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:48:29 pm »

Do you have them set to be able to do that kind of work?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:51:21 pm »

Firstly, do they have the determined jobs activated?

If so, then it might be because of a lack of equipment. Maybe they don't have the picks or axes to mine or cut down trees.

Have you recently done some digging and isolated some dwarves in a part of your fortress?

If none of that is the case, check to see if they're on break.

If all that fails, see if they're in the military. If you set the minimum dwarves that are needed to train below the number of dwarves in the squad, then they might be there for an impromptu break away frrom training.

TinyShenanigans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:54:12 pm »

You might need to enable the various labours on your dwarves:

Hit [v] to view units, [p], then [l] for labour, scroll through and hit enter on the types of jobs you want the dwarves to do.

Alternatively (and much easier for managing your dwarves) use this:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0

It's awesome.

Shen.

theli0ndwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 07:54:45 pm »

Firstly, do they have the determined jobs activated?
Yep, they do.

If so, then it might be because of a lack of equipment. Maybe they don't have the picks or axes to mine or cut down trees.
1) How can I check if they have the equipment?
2) Let's say they don't have the necessary equipment. How do I make it / give it to them?

Have you recently done some digging and isolated some dwarves in a part of your fortress?
Nope, thankfully =D.

If none of that is the case, check to see if they're on break.
One is on break, the rest are listed as having "no job".

If all that fails, see if they're in the military. If you set the minimum dwarves that are needed to train below the number of dwarves in the squad, then they might be there for an impromptu break away frrom training.
I'll check on this and will get back to you...

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:22:12 pm »

I have 6 dwarves. My carpenter died after he went insane and drowned in the brook outside my fortress after hunting for some small animal. I still have no idea why that happened.

You probably trapped him (so he couldn't path back to a food source) or you ran out of food entirely.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:03 pm »

If you are out of food, this problem might take care of itself pretty quickly.

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 10:12:48 pm »

Question Alpha:

1) How can I check if they have the equipment?
2) Let's say they don't have the necessary equipment. How do I make it / give it to them?

Question Beta:

I'll check on this and will get back to you...
[/quote]

Answer Alpha:

A slight variation from TinyShenanigan's suggestion
Use (v) to look at a dwarf, then (i)nventory to see what the are carrying.  If they are wood cutters they should be carrying an axe, if they are miners they should be carrying a pick.  Even if you picked the 'Play Now' option when embarking the game should have given you a few axes and picks.but if you don't have any then...well...

You'll have to make some out of material on hand.

Training axes can be made at the carpenter's workshop out of wood, they work fine, picks have to be forged out of specific metal bars (copper, iron, etc) at the metalsmith's forge.  If a dwarf has the right labor enabled and an unclaimed tool exists, they should go and grab it!

Answer Beta:

I'm going with the short answer here, the (v)(p)(l) labors hunting, mining, and wood cutting interfere with soldier duties, never give a soldier dwarf any of those labors or make a dwarf with those labors a soldier, okay?

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 10:21:26 pm »

My carpenter died after he went insane and drowned in the brook outside my fortress after hunting for some small animal. I still have no idea why that happened.

In the brook or on the brook? If he died in the brook, I'd like to know how that happened.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 02:17:39 am »

My carpenter died after he went insane and drowned in the brook outside my fortress after hunting for some small animal. I still have no idea why that happened.

In the brook or on the brook? If he died in the brook, I'd like to know how that happened.
To clarify: you can walk on brooks. It's impossible to fall inside a brook without actually digging it out.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.