Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-Z Room Designations  (Read 668 times)

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-Z Room Designations
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:04:46 pm »

Hi folks

I'm a big fan of 40x40x10 smoothed main halls and was also thinking of giving my dwarves 2-z high bedrooms and maybe making a big chasm like the one in Moria. What strategy do you use for multi-z rooms? Currently I dig to the edge of where the room will be, then make up down stairs to the top, mine out the top level, smooth the walls, channel the floors and repeat until I reach the intended ground floor. Doing it for almost every room is getting fiddly and I'm spending tonnes more time with the game paused than I'd like, does anyone have a more efficient or effective way of creating multi-z level areas?

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Z Room Designations
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:26:36 pm »

Yeah, mine the entire bottom floor in to up stairs, mine the enitre upper floor into down stairways, and finally channel out the down stairways. Gives the miner bit more workload, but saves it from the player.

Also, cave-ins can be used to punch hole in multiple floors, which is handy for those huge meeting/dining halls.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:37:58 pm »

but cave-ins will still leave a boarder of at least two tiles

not to mention it might make a hole thru your whole fortress (once i got a single cave in thru my whole fortress and it hit Urist McBaron >:(, plus the miner that is )

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:31:47 am »

I guess building a support on the ground floor of a huge hall then mining out each z-level, smoothing each z-levels walls then channeling the edges before collapsing the support is easier than the way I've been doing it, at least in terms of just getting it all designated quickly. The stairs thing looks good too, I'll have to get my set of 20 migrants that always seems to show up all set as miners.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:27:03 am »

not to mention it might make a hole thru your whole fortress (once i got a single cave in thru my whole fortress and it hit Urist McBaron >:(, plus the miner that is )

Cave-ins never punch through full tiles, only floors. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they can punch through infinite amount of floors on their way down.

But yeah, the support thing works as well. It's better especially for the halls with more complex shape. For example my current fort has curving archs in the hall and the top z-level has different shape than the lowest one.