Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windmill question  (Read 495 times)

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windmill question
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:32:36 pm »

Ok here is my question: I have set up my trade depot so i can flood it by pulling a lever the only problem is that no one will build the windmill!!!! It has access to all the wood it needs and my dwarves can get to it just fine. I also have about 100 dwarves with wood hauling and architecture enabled. Also every other building I ask to be built is build withing 5-10 mins. whats up!!!???!!!???!?!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:34:16 pm by b_boy_212 »
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Windmill question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:38:06 pm »

Windmills are designed by Architects and constructed by Carpenters - wood hauling is completely irrelevant.
Also, calm down - go easy on the punctuation.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:43:21 pm »

Ok sorry just freaking out because I happen to have an elf caravan trapped in my trade depot and I'm dieing to try out my new toy. :)
any ideas as to why they will not do anything about the windmill?
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:03:51 pm »

Do you have architecture on for anyone?

I have another windmill related question. The wiki says I have to put an axle in a tile below the center of the mill to transfer power. Yet I can't build one over a channel, or channel out the tile it is already over. What gives?  :P :P
Memento Mori

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 01:05:08 pm »

You need to build a gearbox, pump, or vertical axle first, with the space over head channeled out, and then build the windmill on top of it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 01:06:02 pm »

I have architecture on for around 100 dwarves.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:07:22 pm »

Do you have any carpenters?  Windmills require carpentry to be built.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:26:15 pm »

I have like 6 carpenters one of them is legendary none of them are busy

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:38:17 pm »

I have like 6 carpenters one of them is legendary none of them are busy

Give us a screen-shot of the site. I usually build my Windmills at ground-level+1, so that the gear underneath can go at ground level. That requires making sure there is a valid path to an adjacent tile at ground level+1.
Never pet a burning dog.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 01:51:35 pm »

I dont know how to put pics on this site but the windmill is set to be built directly above the pump and it has a ramp going up to it and everything so I am sure location is not the problem.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 01:54:06 pm »

Does the ramp have walkable floor next to it?  Ramps need to have a wall adjacent to them, and a walkable floor tile on top of the wall.  And in your case, that walkable tile has to be adjacent to the windmill location.  Just a ramp by itself is useless, and a ramp directly under the windmill is also useless, since dwarves need to be able to stand next to something to build it.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 01:54:38 pm »

Does the ramp have walkable floor next to it?  Ramps need to have a wall adjacent to them, and a walkable floor tile on top of the wall.  And in your case, that walkable tile has to be adjacent to the windmill location.  Just a ramp by itself is useless, and a ramp directly under the windmill is also useless, since dwarves need to be able to stand next to something to build it.

yes to all questions

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »

It sudenly got built. Thanks for your help guys.