Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma in a glacier?  (Read 609 times)

Torxciv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magma in a glacier?
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:42:58 pm »

So I've recently finished reading the epic of Captain Ironblood and it's given me a hankering to put down stakes around the south pole, however, I won't stand to see my dwarfs working a wood furnace and smelting coal, I just...I mean, they're already alcoholics, I can't stand by and watch them become coke-fiends, can I? After some fifteen fortresses, I can't break my magma-forge addiction. I either have to have a volcano or I make a mad dash for that wonderful ocean of fire the first change I get.

And so I put it to you: can I fiddle my world-gen to the point where I can have a volcano or vent on a glacier, or are there some basic properties of the universe that keep these sorts of things from happening? It's usually too much of a hassle to bring the magma sea up the average fifty z-levels to where I'm doing business and a real bit of luck if I have a space big enough for a pump stack that doesn't go through any caverns, so the nearer the surface the better. I'm not above using DFliquids because glaciers offer enough challenges, but I'd prefer to do it rather than magic my problem away. And pointers from you folks?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:09:22 pm by Torxciv »

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma in a glacier?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:47:49 pm »

Using DFReveal to find and dig the pipe without the caverns is magic? i do usualy, and well, you can try to force vulcanism to 100/100 and press P when the thingy complains about too much rejectons, your maps will be 30z height and there will be lava, lava everywhere

btw, if you intend to mess with the height, 200 -> above sea, 300+ -> mountains(you need if you want dorfs) so a 290-302 world without erosion is a nice flat place, except on the vulcanoes(vulcanism ftw)

i never managed to find limestone on a world like that tough, once you put stuff you like, you lose stuff you like even more

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:46:12 am »

I have a custom worldgen that makes very cold worlds with lots of glaciation and high vulcanism and I get glacier volcanoes all the time, WITH flux stone. They do tend to be irritatingly hilly areas of the glacier though. Can share params if you need them.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:07:39 am »

You can reduce height and number of caverns in worldgen and get magma sea as close to surface as you want

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 07:12:28 am »

There is nothing that would prevent a volcano from peeking through a glacier.  In fact, my most recent fort IS a volcano-fortress in a glacier.  I did this so that I could play around with melting and re-freezing ice.  Magma + glacier = unlimited water, since freeze/thaw cycles produce a net gain of water.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:24:35 am »

What I do for good volcano spots is up the minimum volcanism to about 20 and then jack the variation to maxium.  That way you can get sedimentary layers near a volcano.  Next up the number of volcanoes to max.  You will then want to set minimum elevation to about 280 and the max elevation to 320.  That gives you the greater possibility of volcanoes away from the middle of mountain ranges.  Finally you will need to set many of the mimimum X tiles to zero like low elevation and number of oceans.  Make sure you log rejects so you know what other settings to fiddle with to get a world to gen.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.