Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst Embark Ever  (Read 487 times)

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worst Embark Ever
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:26:14 am »

So after I losing my last fort, I generated a new world and embarked in a wilderness.  As my miners began digging I get a message, wood cutter had bled to death.  What?  I look around, sure enough there is his body, but no animal near him.  But I do see a single black square.  As my fisher dwarf passes by, the black square pops open and out rolls a Consort of Shadow. (I'm using Mayday graphics so its a lime green spider looking thing.  After whacking my fisher, his 2 hunting dogs he attacks my fort and kills all but 1 dwarf.   I gave up at this point..

What the hell is a Consort of Shadow?  I couldn't find it in the wiki.  Searching here there was one post about an adventure game..

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Embark Ever
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:27:43 am »

You stumbled onto the lair of a Night Creature! It's a vaguely new feature to enter both adventure and fortress modes. They're you vampires, werewolves, boogeymen, etc.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:39 am »

That's an awesome embark.  Sounds like a night creature.  Normally you only encounter them in adventure mode, when you're given a quest to go kill one.  But you just happened to embark right on top of one's home, it seems.

Anytime you lose in less than 5 minutes, Armok has smiled upon you.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:35:51 am »

Night creatures are the randomly generated 'undead' of DF. Generic fantasy settings use vampires, werewolves and other such familiar monsters to make the night scary - DF randomly generates them each worldgen. Now a "Consort" of Shadow means this isn't a pureblood night creature. It used to be some human/elf/dwarf who got kidnapped by an original and got morphed - think vampires making more vampires.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:42:26 am »

I always turn night creatures off.  For some reason, having even 1 makes them spread throughout the entire world and kill off just about every person.

Last world I genned, I did a little experiment.  I used the exact same seeds, and only changed the night creature count.  On one, I had no night creatures.  On the other, 1 night creature.

End result? The world with no night creatures ended up with a population of 10,000 or so.  The world with 1 single solitary night creature?

2,500 people.

What is this I don't even....

Yeah I'd like to keep boogiemen, but they fact they reproduce by stealing kings and queens, who then steal more kings and queens, and the fact that they NEVER DIE... just kind of ruins the whole idea for me.  They seriously need a nerfing in Worldgen.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.