Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A fun round of adventure mode  (Read 1876 times)

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A fun round of adventure mode
« on: April 04, 2011, 12:51:01 pm »

I got mad at DF for throwing HORDES of night creatures at me every quest, so I made a demigod dwarf, with master axedwarf, and some skills in armor and shield user, and I found a fort RIGHT outside town, and recruited a human swordsman, a wrestler, and went off to kill bandits, only like, three bandits, and after that was over, got a peasant ally, to play meatshield...next camp:He got a messed up leg and kept falling unconscious, and we left him behind, then, I got more peasants, and went to another camp for a quest, and there were like, 10 guys there...they all died, lost a peasant I think, I just kept decapitating all the bandits with my axe, (I had no armor, by the way, stupid game gave me none) and a few more similar camps later, and a horde of peasants following me (The wrestler died, forgot how) Along with My death god of a swordsman (He killed like, half of anything we came across on his own) And on the way to a faraway keep for a harder quest, got ambushed by a ridiculous amount of powerful bandits, they DESTROYED us, due to having just beaten a camp, and apparently the other bandits came for vengeance while we slept, I fled, and when night fell, turns out swords-guy was the only other survivor, and we kept on going...almost to town for recruits...AMBUSH! 30 more bandits...joy, it seemed like infinite bandits, and swordsman of doom-man, took out most of them that came for him, and I killed most of the rest...then, RANDOM BOLT FROM NOWHERE TO A LEG CRIPPLES ME, and then I dragged myself to the general direction of the bolt, since they seemed to be the only ones left, and I saw swordguy's corpse surrounded by like, half the ambush's people's corpses, and two archers popped out, and I killed them both, both got decapitated I believe, and I tried to drag myself to the town...ANOTHER AMBUSH OF A TON OF ARCHERS! And as I try to run to the town (And by run I mean drag with my arm, since one got broken, lost my shield.) Arrow spam, and I get almost every organ but my heart pierced with arrows, and suffocated. Sword guy was my best companion EVER.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:02:47 pm by Keltiknight »
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: A fun round of adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:51:15 pm »

The game is not stupid, you have to earn your armor.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »

Oh hey Deon, yeah...Just hate when every quest is to kill night creatures, there is not a fort to get people who can survive two minutes in combat for a few day travel with no towns...and the night creatures apparently breed like rabbits...if only I took screenshots, it was a hilarious sight at first. I just hate when my comp takes forever to gen a decent world, and then that happens, I was kinda frustrated at the time, also kinda tired at the time, had just gotten up and had time to burn, due to waking up really early, if only there had been some BANDITS to raid, they have armor to steal...I just do not like making dummy forts just to make bluemetal armor, feels cheap to me.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:55:21 pm »

The game is not stupid, you have to earn your armor.

Or mod your armor.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:03:56 am »

You could also just consider your adventurers members of the Dwarven Scouts. Started playing Adv mode after a loong time. After several dead adventurers, I realized they had found several really nice embark spots, with iron ore, and flux veins along cliff edges. Now their sole purpose is to explore for potential sites, and other goodys
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:13 am »

Ha, awesome! I've had some pretty cool adventurers and companions. I know with high enough agility and dodging skill, you become pretty much untouchable... Like my adventurer in about .16 or .17, Warghui the goblin, a one armed knife-wielding whirlwind of death. He was awesome. Still alive too, I'll have to dig out the save...
And in my current world, I have an awesome adventurer and his companion retired in a castle... If my ridiculously resilient fort ever crumbles, I'll play him again. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:02:56 am »

Speaking of awesome companions, I brought a siege engineer for laughs once. I fully expected him to die and was using him only as my first companion to keep bogeys away.

We got ambushed by a group of bandits, and immediately he took a bolt to the shoulder. I was going to attack the crossbowman to keep from being pelted while in mêlée with the leader, but I see him run off and I figure he'll at least keep him occupied. I see a couple combat reports of the guy knocking the crossbowman on his ass and stabbing him in the arm and things, but in the ensuing chaos of battle I lose track of him.

Eventually I'm done killing the leader, and I kill another guy and look around for the others, but there's no one to be seen. I notice that there are still reports of that single siege engineer...

And then I see him, mildly wounded, stride over a small pile of corpses, copper dagger in hand.

He ended up dying in a battle with The Midnight Creature, some granddaddy of night creatures, and I followed shortly after. With me to the end, he was. We were bros.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 04:38:53 pm »

Once, i had a miner companion. He helped me kill a Night Creature family.
And survived. He didn't die with an arrow to the HEAD. I saved his life later.

And thus, that is my best companion.

PS: He never died throughout my entire game. At all. An arrow to the HEAD, man!

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:10:54 pm »

I had a hammerman companion (I was a axeman)....First man I got in Adventure mode...... Me and him were like brothers, the very first battle I had with him was against....Aprox. 40 bandits at a camp....No fuckin idea how there were so many.

Me and him were tearing through them, he saved my life 5 times in the battle and  saved his twice (Once with me throwing my axe into the back of a guy strangling him and killing him on the spot) . On the last few guys who were guarding the chief, he got his shield hand cut off and one of his eyes was shot with an arrow. He was 2 blocks away from the chief when he got shot in the other eye and blinded before he was brutally cleaved to death with a axe while I tried my hardest to save him.

I broke the chiefs arms and legs with my fallen comerades war hammer before I went and chopped off the crossbowmen's fingers with my iron great axe.
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 01:54:52 am »

Wait, you had 10 companions die and none of them had any armor or anything?

Last game I started I started out as a human outsider with only a spear and a knife. I got two companions, headed for a bandit camp, and spent most of the time hiding behind a tree while they killed some bandits. I took all their stuff and wore it, then went off to trade it for a backpack. Went somewhere and companions died, and I took their stuff.

Most of the stuff I looted was crap, but I just went around to armor shops and traded the crap for some real armor. Wah-lah, naked human outsider with a spear converted into fully armored guy with an axe.

Suggestions: Hide behind trees and terrain, hit "." to let companions draw out archers, and practice your sneaking to help you escape in bad situations.

BTW, you can ignore quests, just ask people about Surroundings, head off to wherever to kill whatever sounds fun, come back and brag about it, and still get credit. Quests are more of a "suggestion" than anything else because you don't really need one in order to kill a named creature and increase fame.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 02:12:49 am »

night creatures? well that's because toady remove the chance to get megabeast quest early go mine those night creatures or build a fort lure a FB to it and swap over to adventure mode and kill it.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 06:04:04 am »

My very first companion was a Cavy Monster Demon. I won't forget how the very first thing he did was scratch off the head of a goblin ambusher and slaughter everyone. Wish I could get him back :(

Most of the other companions have all been wolf bait.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 06:37:11 am »

My very first companion was a Cavy Monster Demon. I won't forget how the very first thing he did was scratch off the head of a goblin ambusher and slaughter everyone. Wish I could get him back :(

Most of the other companions have all been wolf bait.
you can by the use of the Dfusion.
given that you also use Runesmith to make sure the creature the same civ to avoid any issues.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 10:06:17 am »

I always start as a demigod character and it has never helped me :(

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »

Well, given how easy powerleveling is, starting as a demigod vs. a peasant really just saves you maybe 30 minutes to an hour of powerleveling. The only real exception is if you sink all the attribute/skill points into things you can't increase in game, or can't easily increase in game (like social awareness, intuition, observer, etc) So "demigod" doesn't make your dude much of a demigod unless it's the demigod of musicality or social awareness and observation or something....