Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Troll survived 10z level fall + 10 glass spikes  (Read 2222 times)

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Troll survived 10z level fall + 10 glass spikes
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:02:55 pm »

I was pitting trolls to there supposedly certain demise, with everyone of them falling onto 10 glass spikes and exploding. However 1 of the trolls fell all 10 z levels, landed square on the spikes before standing up brushing himself off and devouring the nearest dwarf. He only had a mild bruise on his upper body, any idea why this happened and how to stop it in the future?

Edit: Second troll survived with a cut to its foot.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:04:39 pm by Avo »

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Troll survived 10z level fall + 10 glass spikes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:21:17 pm »

He could be landing on another troll, I'm not sure... I heard about excecution towers where goblins are limping out with broken bones, when SPLAT, they get crushed by their buddy... who doesn't have any broken bones and is pretty pissed off.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:37:49 pm »

Are you making sure to strip the trolls of their clothing? It may not seem like much, but cloth is strong enough to stop glass (oddly enough). Check the combat logs to see what they say.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 06:57:20 pm »

This was my act of stripping the clothing. Dropping the trolls from a massive height, watching them explode then rinsing them out of there clothes :D
Ill have to strip them down from now on.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 07:19:50 pm »

glass is aparently the worst material for spikes, any other metal do a better job

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »

I was pitting trolls to there supposedly certain demise, with everyone of them falling onto 10 glass spikes and exploding. However 1 of the trolls fell all 10 z levels, landed square on the spikes before standing up brushing himself off and devouring the nearest dwarf. He only had a mild bruise on his upper body, any idea why this happened and how to stop it in the future?

10z is not enough to guarantee death.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »

This, you need 12 z levels.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:25:59 pm »

Last time I checked, merely landing on spikes does not cause additional damage. Spike traps only cause damage if they're activated when something's standing on them.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 09:36:44 pm »

Weapon traps with spikes don't trigger by impact, but upright spike traps do cause additional damage if something falls on them. I'm not sure if that damage is significantly increased by a bigger fall, though.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 11:03:45 pm »

Just build weapon traps at the bottom of the pit. 1 spike per weapon trap. Unconscious creatures will automatically trigger them, and any creature will be knocked out by the fall. While trying to escape (assuming they survive the fall in the first place) they will trigger more spikes.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 01:26:57 am »

Last time I checked, merely landing on spikes does not cause additional damage. Spike traps only cause damage if they're activated when something's standing on them.

Spikes do damage when creatures land on them now.

I don't know if this has changed somewhere along the line, or if I missed it when I tested it previously - we didn't have combat logs and basic falling damage was much more serious (iirc 4 level drop no spikes was usually fatal) making it very hard to tell if the spikes did 'bonus' damage.

But now with the combat log, you can quite clearly see the extra damage from the spikes in the combat log. I have absolutely no idea how the damage works (greater fall = more weapon force, or a flat multiplier, or no matter how far they fall it's the same, or something else) but it is there.

And yes, glass sucks as a weapon. Spikes also seem to be somewhat random in how damaging they are (hit to the heart = mortal wound. Dozen spikes to the arms/legs = almost insta heal = basically worthless) so use lots and at least use metal if you are relying on them.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 05:10:11 pm »

This, you need 12 z levels.

Yep, 10Z isn't enough.  12Z is.  Not sure about 11.  My last fort, I had a 10Z pit room, and I had to dig down two more levels because it wasn't a sure kill.

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 05:12:29 pm »

I have made my drop 15Z for extra splat.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 05:17:40 pm »

Glass isn't as useless as it used to be (since Toady gave all 3 types a MAX_EDGE and more realistic physical properties), but it's still inferior to metal.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.