Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Games like Birthright  (Read 6423 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Games like Birthright
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 05:06:48 pm »

RoTK was one of my favorite series many many years ago. I guess I liked the same thing about it as I did with Birthright, being that tiny little kingdom/faction among many others, and working your way up.

Anyhow, I might give M&B a try again, although I would prefer a strategy game with a RPG option rather than vice versa.

Also, wouldn't a roguelike Birthright remake be uber cool?

Well, you should try King of the Dragon Pass. You essentially roleplay a whole barbarian clan in the game, including adventures of their heroes and domestic problems of their wives. :P

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 05:35:18 pm »

My husband still plays Birthright.  For a while, we both played it together.  The main game-killing bug in the kingdom mode was defeated troops that did not either die or retreat.  It always happened eventually, later in the game, and unless you had that spell that locks the enemy into the province they are fighting in, you ended up stuck.  Also, even later on in the game, it started losing mana connections.  Also, it would start putting buildings into the upper left-hand corner of the map, or something like that, as I recall.  Probably ran out of menory space and was getting null pointer offsets from 0,0 for the co-ordinates.  It was also disappointing to play as the big bad guy and realize that his victories when you played against him must have been hard-coded because he hadn't really got all those powers and spells as a character.

I bought King of Dragon Pass, but I have a basic problem with the clan mores in the game.  I'm just not a raiding and counting coup kind of person.  I know that was traditonal in many cultures, and I don't fault it, but it's not something I am comfortable role-playing.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 05:40:27 pm »

My husband still plays Birthright.  For a while, we both played it together.  The main game-killing bug in the kingdom mode was defeated troops that did not either die or retreat.  It always happened eventually, later in the game, and unless you had that spell that locks the enemy into the province they are fighting in, you ended up stuck.  Also, even later on in the game, it started losing mana connections.  Also, it would start putting buildings into the upper left-hand corner of the map, or something like that, as I recall.  Probably ran out of menory space and was getting null pointer offsets from 0,0 for the co-ordinates.  It was also disappointing to play as the big bad guy and realize that his victories when you played against him must have been hard-coded because he hadn't really got all those powers and spells as a character.

I bought King of Dragon Pass, but I have a basic problem with the clan mores in the game.  I'm just not a raiding and counting coup kind of person.  I know that was traditonal in many cultures, and I don't fault it, but it's not something I am comfortable role-playing.

I would still play Birthright too, if I hadn't thrown away the original disc.
I'm curious as to you got to play as the big bad though, so far as I remember the closest thing you get to play baddies is playing one of the evil-aligned human nations.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 06:18:32 pm »

My husband still plays Birthright.  *snippety snip*

There are fan-made patches for Birthright, have you tried playing with them? I played it mostly when it was new; I tried playing it again in a blow of nostalgy two years ago or so. Unfortunately the adventure graphics...they have not aged well at all. Old 3D is just something I can't stand anymore, I don't know why.

Regarding Dragon Pass, you can play a peaceful clan. You choose in the beginning what kind of clan you play. Matriarchal peace clan can live without any warfare at all, though you still have to defend yourself against enemies. Plus of course, stealing cattle and the like is a major source of income.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »

Where can i get Birthright and the patches at (im willing to buy)
Pages: 1 [2]