Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pig Iron Breast Plate  (Read 1103 times)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Pig Iron Breast Plate
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:03:40 pm »

So my first mood in this fort was from my newly migrated armorer. Thankfully the dwarven caravan came at the same time. Giving me a chunk of pig iron (and black and bithmus bronze that werent used) that the fey armorer used to create Tamereveres the Grieving Contingencies the pig iron breastplate.

Where does this rank as far as armor? Should I let a military dwarf wear it? My metals on this map consist of tetradhite and colbaltite.  Perhaps I'll toss it to my resident dragon. Im sure he'll like it.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

RopeMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pig Iron Breast Plate
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:11:14 pm »

I'm not sure which metal values determine how strong armor is, but pig iron has the same density as steel, with about 1/3rd of the strength in any other value. On the bright side, an artifact has a x3 bonus to effectiveness.

I'd say it's either equal to or 3 times better than a regular 'low quality' steel breastplate.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:24:30 pm »

I'm not sure which metal values determine how strong armor is, but pig iron has the same density as steel, with about 1/3rd of the strength in any other value. On the bright side, an artifact has a x3 bonus to effectiveness.

I'd say it's either equal to or 3 times better than a regular 'low quality' steel breastplate.
Isn't it a x12 bonus?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:43:56 pm »

Masterful is x12 value, I believe that artifact armor is indeed 3x more effective-- so says the wiki.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 12:47:45 pm »

Masterful is x12 value, I believe that artifact armor is indeed 3x more effective-- so says the wiki.
That can't be right...

[EDIT] Artifact is x120 value...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:50:05 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 12:58:55 pm »

Depends what exactly 3x deflection bonus actually does. Does it equal to 3x increase in strength, or does it affect ingame rolls in some way. Pig iron has the same stats that iron used to have in early .31 so it should fall somewhere between copper and present iron/bronze material wise. So it is pretty good if you haven't got anything but tetra.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:03:51 pm »

After reading the raws for pig iron, as well as the metal page on the wiki, pig iron seems a little worse than iron for most calculations. But given that this is an artifact breastplate, I'd place it about even with a superior or masterwork iron breastplate. Also, it's a snazzy artifact.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:31:33 pm »

My metals on this map consist of tetradhite and colbaltite.
Cobaltite isn't a metal. It's just a blue stone. So all you've got is the tetrahedrite that you can turn into copper and silver (or billon if you're insane :P).
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 04:01:17 pm »

Cobaltite isn't a metal. It's just a blue stone. So all you've got is the tetrahedrite that you can turn into copper and silver (or billon if you're insane :P).

Cobaltite is a metal ore, we just can't smelt it.  It is, however, very dense and makes good stonefall traps / catapult ammo, for whatever that's worth.  Most stones don't have density values set, but cobaltite is one of the exceptions.  It should be the densest rock that's not smeltable right now, in fact, so it's the best catapult ammo unless you want to shoot native gold or silver or something.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 04:18:41 pm »

Cobaltite is a metal ore, we just can't smelt it.  It is, however, very dense and makes good stonefall traps / catapult ammo, for whatever that's worth.  Most stones don't have density values set, but cobaltite is one of the exceptions.  It should be the densest rock that's not smeltable right now, in fact, so it's the best catapult ammo unless you want to shoot native gold or silver or something.

Indeed, you know theres a spoiler rock thats denser. Very denser.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 04:33:13 pm »

Indeed, you know theres a spoiler rock thats denser. Very denser.

It can't be mined though. So it's purely thoretical material.