Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You are melting!  (Read 1030 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
You are melting!
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:40:42 pm »

Recently I headed of to kill a dragon with a few followers and, not surprisingly, it breathed fire which was a bit of a problem for the guys with no shields.

After the dragon was dead I kept getting the message "You are melting!" and this was apparently causing a lot of bleeding and melting fat damage. I looked at my equipment and I wasn't seeing any of it on fire like !!chicken leather tunic!! or anything, so I figured that maybe I just needed to cool down a bit or something.

So I sit there a while and the bleeding gets worse and I continue to "melt".

Finally I get the bright idea to remove and drop ALL of my equipment and after a few ticks the melting stopped, then the bleeding stopped but not before I was Faint, Pale, and otherwise almost dead from blood loss. I think my backpack or something burst into flame because there was a fire right around where I dropped everything.

So I go back into the dragon lair for some rest and recuperation and manage to heal up after a day or so.

After that I come out of the lair and my equipment is scattered all over the place for some reason, so I start going around picking up metal armor and putting it on and pretty soon I'm melting and bleeding again!

At this point I'm like "screw it" and I just grab some gold coins and leave ALL of my equipment behind since there seems to be no way to figure out which pieces are white hot, on fire, or whatever. Nothing is showing !!fire!! Luckily none of the equipment is particularly high quality or anything (base quality bronze and iron, mostly bronze).

I'm pretty sure I blocked the flames every time, but there were burning corpses everywhere and perhaps I was standing in fire the whole time or something. I didn't see my body on fire or anything except some burning corpses in tiles I walked through.

Any idea what happened here? I would have expected hot metal armor to cool after 24 hours. Perhaps there is some sort of temperature calculation bug?

Nicholas98

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: You are melting!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:06:46 pm »

It ain't normal fire, dude.

ITS DRAGON FIRE!

So maybe that has something to do with it.

Maybe it set the ground on fire and it won't stop the fire as a result of something under it, I've never had this before though, though i sometimes picking up burning animal corpses and running to start fires with it fo fun, then throwing it away.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »

Apparently the character's head fat is gone, his upper body fat is gone, and his left foot fat is gone.... permanently I assume. Apparently the dragon weight loss plan really works!

This is better than liposuction.

Well, dragonfire or not, it sucks that the game doesn't tell you what items are glowing hot.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:32:51 pm »

Put it all back on, and jump into the nearest body of water. Maybe that'll cool it down.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:38:15 pm »

I would have tried that, but I was in the middle of a desert with no water within not-bleeding-out range.....

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:38:34 pm »

I sometimes get this if I have too much fun in the prickle berry fields in town :)

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:52:38 pm »

You are not pretty anymore.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 04:14:17 am »

You are now the dwarvish equivalent of Darth Vader.

Well, almost. We need to organize an accident to remove a few limbs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 04:29:37 am »

Could you bring another backpack and put all the equipment inside it to cart it off to a lake or something?

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 02:24:55 pm »

Well, I finally got bored of this character and decided to try to solo (with an iron sword) a titan made of glass who could also shoot webs, and that didn't work out very well. The guy's limbs were crushed and at the end he was slamming himself into the titan by rolling towards it, which wasn't very effective.

As for the backpack thing, I'm not sure. I think the backpack burst into flames when I dropped it in the same tile with the glowing hot armor. My guess is that it would do the same if I put stuff in it.

The annoying thing about adventure mode right now is that it seems to be impossible to find any steel or adamantine equipment no matter how rich you are unless you build a fort for yourself somewhere and stock it with iron bins full of goodies. And then you have to be a dwarf or elf if you want to wear any dwarven armor. Seems like dwarves ought to be able to make human sized stuff. I guess you should be able to mod in reactions for it?

The Tyrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Si non confectus, non reficiat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:02:45 pm »

You could mod humans to allow them to make steel. Although this would mean bandits with steel weaponry...
Stove has created The Consequences of Biting, a legendary MSPaint engraving. It is studded with pixels, encrusted with pixels, and menaces with spikes of pixels and hanging rings of pixels. On the item is an image of SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:56:35 pm »

I had a similiar problem with freezing to death in genesis mod, although I didn't think of removing armor. I did try traveling and setting myself on fire though, so its safe to say this is not how temperatures are supposed to work.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 06:21:41 pm »

I guess this is more of a modding forum question, but would I need to edit the main raws and generate a new world or could I just edit the world raws?

I wonder if I could also mod dwarves to build towns instead of mountainhalls.... Well, I mean I know I can but don't know if it would work.