Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fresh start quandry  (Read 463 times)

WishMyNameWasFunny

• Bay Watcher
  • Surely the taste of cat roasts is getting boring.
    • View Profile
fresh start quandry
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:59:00 pm »

Just found myself a volcano embark with steel making minerals trouble is the marble flux stone is off under an aquifer an as far as I can tell no mats for coke had a peek round with reveal and couldent find any so that could cause me some !!Fun!! Anyway my question was having just got my 1st bunch of extra suckers do I crank out some iron armour and weapons and start em training now or let em work some muscles up mining for a bit I'm undecieded as to burn my 1st load of iron for training  or keep it for steel production?
Signature filter has detected a boring generic signature and has disabled this option for you.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: fresh start quandry
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:17:42 pm »

Save it for making steel. Burn wood for charcoal, and find a way to get some of that flux. Find a gap in the aquifer, use screw pumps, whatever. Not many standard embarks these days have all the materials for steel, so you should take advantage of it.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:26:26 pm »

You can't dig from through the caldera and underneath the aquifer? Seems like that's all you'd need to get the flux you want. That and chopping wood for charcoal.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:24 pm »

If you can't dig through the aquifer directly, try pumping out a space so you dig through anyway, or, alternatively, use the cork-drop method.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:09:14 pm »

You have a Volcano & an aquifer? use the former to solve the latter.

WishMyNameWasFunny

• Bay Watcher
  • Surely the taste of cat roasts is getting boring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:18:10 am »

The embark was quite high on the mountain side an I have not gone down to see where the aquifer layer lies just yet. I'm taking advantage of the soil layer to make some stockpiles and a food aeea. Plus my traps are all down and war dogs chained up at the entrance so I'm safe for the moment think ill make 5 more training axes and deforest the map in preparation for the charcoal ill need
Signature filter has detected a boring generic signature and has disabled this option for you.