Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bugfixes?  (Read 1075 times)

Loendal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bugfixes?
« on: May 11, 2013, 12:31:26 am »

Hi there, I'm fairly new to the DF world, though I've gone through many a dwarven life and fortresses have collapsed under my command many times over.  I see the devlog on a pretty regular basis and I'm tempted to start playing more Adventurer mode with the new release.

What I'm curious about though is perhaps something I've just not scrolled down far enough to find.  There are plenty of bugs in Fortress mode like Hospitals and Barracks not being used to store things properly and single bolts lying scattered all over the place that will never stack together when stored and things like that.  Are these bugfixes already in the new, upcoming version or are were mainly getting new features added with a fall back to fixing the bugs after those features are done?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Bugfixes?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:49:05 am »

Only new features in the next release (well, maybe some bugs got fixed in rewriting and testing the new version), but the weeks after are dedicated to bug fixing.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:21:44 am »

Some really ridiculous bugs are sometimes fixed in new major versions, but the major version will certainly introduce roughly a billion new bugs, so that's kind of six of one, half a dozen of the other. Some time after the release will be devoted to bug fixing as Trif says, both for new and old bugs, but I wouldn't get too attached to a "favourite" bug and expect that it'll be fixed, because many bugs often aren't fixed in that period. In general, things get better and the game gets broadly less buggy and more feature-rich as time goes on, but being attached the specifics of what features and bugs change and when is a good way to go crazy, especially when DF only has a new major release every year or two :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:23:20 am by Xinael »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:11:53 am »

These kind of requests for bug fixes probably get more attention if they come paper-clipped to a $50 donation to the game's programmers.  I would think.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 12:38:15 pm »

I donated to Bay12 myself recently, I've spent more time on this game than is proper to admit, even though I've spent more money on "big name" games and less time on those.

The short story and image by ThreeToe/Toady? Totally. Worth. It. Might donate again when I have spare cash.

Bug fixes come with time. I prefer to call them features and consider them quirks of dwarven psychology!
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:45:59 am »

Yea I've been playing since 40d and there are still bugs from way back when.

That said, bugs aside, the game is pretty much completely playable (At least for me) so the odd bug is more of an irritant than anything else, and you learn to ignore or work around them.

Personally if I could choose what Toady would put his time into it would be to scrap adventure mode (which, to me, is not that interesting) and focus on fortress mode.. That said I'm sure there are those out there who'd say the opposite, and of course it's Toady's game so it's his call.

I know my donation was well spent on the image of my three dwarven heroes (named after my family) fighting a giant feathered snail.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:08:51 am »

Yea I've been playing since 40d and there are still bugs from way back when.

That said, bugs aside, the game is pretty much completely playable (At least for me) so the odd bug is more of an irritant than anything else, and you learn to ignore or work around them.

Personally if I could choose what Toady would put his time into it would be to scrap adventure mode (which, to me, is not that interesting) and focus on fortress mode.. That said I'm sure there are those out there who'd say the opposite, and of course it's Toady's game so it's his call.

I know my donation was well spent on the image of my three dwarven heroes (named after my family) fighting a giant feathered snail.

Indeed, I am one such. It comes from a love of roguelikes. It's nice to have the balance in my opinion.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 03:37:16 am »

What I'm curious about though is perhaps something I've just not scrolled down far enough to find.
The cyclic pattern is: make new content, release, bugfix (both old and new bugs), repeat. That first part typically takes around a year. If you want to see what the devlog was like during bugfixing, look to around April~May 2012. The previous bugfix period before that was early 2010, you'll have to check the Announcements forum to see when the v0.31 threads were being made.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.