Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insane pathfinding problems in reclaim mode  (Read 520 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Insane pathfinding problems in reclaim mode
« on: October 20, 2006, 09:07:00 am »

I reclaimed an abandoned fortress, cleared it out and demilitarized my dwarves. Now, beginning of the first winter, they are almost all stuck somewhere and filling the message log with "could not find path" -spam!

First I thought it was just a few individual dwarves trying eat from two barrels, but now it is over the half of the dwarves. Yes, I've checked all the basic things like if there are trees grown to block corridors. That is not the case. Few of them are stuck outside.

Activating then in the military, moving them and then deactivating the unit helps a little - but they are soon stuck again.

[ October 20, 2006: Message edited by: Majestic7 ]

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Insane pathfinding problems in reclaim mode
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 09:30:00 am »

You have to go into the designate menu and reclaim sections of the fortress there.  Civilians refuse to cross any object that hasn't been reclaimed that way, I think.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Abyssal Squid:
<STRONG>You have to go into the designate menu and reclaim sections of the fortress there.  Civilians refuse to cross any object that hasn't been reclaimed that way, I think.</STRONG>

The whole fortress is reclaimed.

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 09:37:00 am »

Well, find out what jobs they're stuck on with the jobs menu? Usually you can deduce what's going on with this.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 09:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by qalnor:
<STRONG>Well, find out what jobs they're stuck on with the jobs menu? Usually you can deduce what's going on with this.</STRONG>

That's the problem, there's no clear pattern. First I thought it was just dwarves going to eat from certain barrels, now it seems all hauling jobs cause them to get stuck as well. Yet still there's nothing blocking their routes.

edit - oh well, now the idiots started starving although there are loads of food stored, because they are unable find paths. There is nothing I can see blocking them, yet still they can't walk. Oh well. Guess I'll just let the game run on the background untill the little idiots starve to death, just to see if there are any smart ones who survive. If not, guess I'll try to reclaim the place again and see if the new try works better.

edit - update. The problem is now over. Of the original 21 dwarves, 15 starved or died of thirst due to pathing errors. I got a big wave of immigrants in the spring and everything seems to be going fine now.

[ October 20, 2006: Message edited by: Majestic7 ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »

If you still have a save where this kind of thing is happening regularly, you can send it in.

toadyone@bay12games.com or somewhere downloadable
region#.sav + region# folder in some kind of zip/rar

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!