Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarf heroes do not get buried  (Read 1072 times)

ikarsai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarf heroes do not get buried
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:35:22 am »

Hello,
I am playing DF for few weeks and now I have 31.25. Have a problem with dead dwarfs. They rot outside the fort. I have a nice graveyard room with many empty coffins and with r I made them as tomb. As a matter of fact the dwarf used some of them to bury their dwarfs, but not after the recent siege. many idlers, they collected all goodies but the body itself is there. they are not forbidden. I also checked the orders: o F and yes I did forbid it while the war was on, but I allow them to collect now. Order o r (refuse) outside is also allowed. These are my fallen soldiers and I do not want them to rot or put on a corpse pile, but the dwarfs are not helping. Could you please?

As a note: Sometimes the menu system is very confusing for me. What is the ON option? an example. Carry goods to the trade depo. m: Culling on mandate. Is this ON or I have to push m to be ON? If I push m the text will be m: ignore mandate. What I see as text is the ON or I have to push the button to make this ON and what I see is the option I will get when I push the button?

Maybe these were in the forum before. In this case I apologize for the repeat. It seems magma is not the solution here!  ;D
Thanks
ikarsai

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: dwarf heroes do not get buried
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:40 am »

I would say it had something to do with the orders menu (press 'o', 'r', then 'o' again to allow refuse from outside the fortress to be collected by Dwarves), but corpses are separate from the "refuse" category. Try querying the coffins, you may not have allowed burial in them yet.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:18:50 am »

I also checked the orders: o F and yes I did forbid it while the war was on, but I allow them to collect now.

When you did this, you told the game to automatically set the bodies as forbidden when the dwarves died. When you turned that off, you told the game to stop automatically forbidding the bodies of dwarves that die, but any bodies that were already forbidden by this process stayed that way. You'll need to manually un-forbid them if you haven't yet. (Also, when you turn it on, it doesn't automatically forbid any bodies that are already lying around.)

As a note: Sometimes the menu system is very confusing for me. What is the ON option? an example. Carry goods to the trade depo. m: Culling on mandate. Is this ON or I have to push m to be ON? If I push m the text will be m: ignore mandate. What I see as text is the ON or I have to push the button to make this ON and what I see is the option I will get when I push the button?

In general, that kind of label shows what the current setting is - so if it says 'culling on mandates' (the default) then it already is ignoring things that you're not supposed to trade away, and if you press the indicated key it changes to ignoring the mandate and allowing you to trade items that will upset your mayor.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

ikarsai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:10:22 am »

Hi, many thanks for the responses so far.
I checked every dead body and I unforbid them with f, so they are not in {brackets} now. They still not picked off and transferred to the burial site with full of empty coffin with q and r designated as cemetery or burial chamber. I also try a different option and pushing d to dump the bodies, but still nothing happens. They are now decomposed. If they are decomposed are they still have a chance to be buried in coffins?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:21:50 am »

Any remaining body parts can be put in coffins, even if a pile of unrecognizable dorf sludge is all that's left. And if there really isn't anything left, you can still engrave a slab as a memorial in place of the burial.

The only other thing I can think of that would prevent Dwarves from gathering the bodies is a burrow that forbids them from going over there. But you probably already checked that too. Hmmm...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Kilumanjaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:24:15 am »

somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the problem is that you are making them Tomb's with (r)..  Tombs are assigned to living dwarfs so that if when they die they have a place to go. I only use it for noble holdings demands.

For a coffin that will accept any corpse, don't assign a room, just allow for (b)urial from the q menu.  If you want to put them into a tomb for honor after that, you can always deconstruct the coffin and re-build  it elsewhere.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:28:34 am »

somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the problem is that you are making them Tomb's with (r)..  Tombs are assigned to living dwarfs so that if when they die they have a place to go. I only use it for noble holdings demands.

For a coffin that will accept any corpse, don't assign a room, just allow for (b)urial from the q menu.  If you want to put them into a tomb for honor after that, you can always deconstruct the coffin and re-build  it elsewhere.
^
|
|
He's right. Tombs are assigned to Dwarves, but coffins being used for burial will be filled automatically with any old (Dwarven) corpse. That's probably your problem.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 08:51:46 pm »

I read the title as a demand: "Dwarf Heroes do not get buried. They are returned to the Magma"

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:38:50 pm »

Which is actually totally doable and should be a-okay with the dwarves; engrave a slab in memorial of the fallen hero, preferably above his magma pit, and get on with life.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

ikarsai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 08:52:43 am »

Many thanks for the quick and good suggestions. It worked.