Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrifying areas.  (Read 1565 times)

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales from the Fortress
Terrifying areas.
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:18:07 am »

On the embark screen there seems to be two different versions of evil areas. One is bright pink. The other is a mixture of gray and red across a smaller area.
Can anyone tell me the difference?
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Now updated to include a DF2014 section!

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying areas.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:26:27 am »

There are three kinds of evil areas: savage (Terrifying), neutral (Haunted) and benign (Sinister). Savage areas tend to have more dangerous wildlife.

Good and neutral areas are also further divided by savagery.
The fish are watching.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:36:47 am »

mhm, does the distinction between red/black and pink denote these differences? Or is pink purely the evil areas. It's just that exporting the map via legends shows that the black/red areas are also evil.
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:10:57 am »

mhm, does the distinction between red/black and pink denote these differences? Or is pink purely the evil areas. It's just that exporting the map via legends shows that the black/red areas are also evil.

You could backup your save and do quick embarks to see what they are like. There are 4 colours used for evil forest, marsh, etc. as far as I have noticed - two shades of purple, dark red and dark grey. Perhaps the grey ones are likelier to have dead plantlife, perhaps not.

Evil areas are generally pretty varied though. Plants (shrubs, trees and grasses) and undeads seem to be entirely optional. Only the vermin and various evil critters seem to be constant. In my experience, you are likely to find skeletons or zombies if the plants are dead as well, and unlikely if they aren't. The savagery doesn't seem to have any effect on this, as I have embarked into terrifying jungles which were just normal tropical broadleaf forests with few stranglers, blendecs and phantom spiders (ie. not even glumprongs or silver barbs).

Be warned that the wormy tendril grasses can be pretty annoying, as they twitch around with high frequency. Though I have to admit that evil forests with live trees, both evil grasses and the littered spider webs do look very funky in pshycedelic way.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:26:38 am by Dwarfoloid »

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:48:46 am »

Well from what little testing I've done, it seems that red/black areas are just evil in terms of critters, but otherwise just a normal embark. To get zombies etc. Requires a pink area.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:47:46 am »

I created a very evil test world and as far as I can see, the exact colour is just eye candy. I also found out that zombies and skeletons can co-exist now, I don't think they did in earlier version. I might as well test if grazers can survive on dead grass while I'm at it. Tentative testing indicates that they can't as two horses penned in 2x2 area didn't reduce the grass level (it stayed at dense) but that attempt was cut short in late spring by the acid rain bug (I thought that got fixed ages back?).

(Edit) Did another test and waited until the animals started dropping. So no, grazers can't live on dead grass.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:13:25 pm by Dwarfoloid »