Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quarters  (Read 667 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Quarters
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:26 pm »

Heyhey guys, I got more questions :D

Every time I want to give a room to my dwarf, I assign them the bad, the table and the chair. I noticed that dwarf take possession automatically of non-assigned bedroom. Will they claim the rest of the stuff in the room? Is it necessary for the to claim it or other dwarf might do it and they will start fighting over furniture?

It will be some much more simple if I didn't had to assign everything to every dwarf et do it again when they die and blablablabla.... ...    ..

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quarters
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:27:21 pm »

Define the room from the bed.  Make sure it covers everything you want the dwarf to have.  Assign the room, if you want.  Rooms that are defined but not assigned will be claimed by dwarves who don't have rooms the next time they want to sleep.

If you define a room from a table or chair, it counts as a dinning room or office, respectively.  Dwarves won't claim those, so you have to assign them manually.  Or just build the table and chair in their bedroom, and don't define them as rooms.  The dwarves will still use them.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:13:43 pm »

Ty for your answer

How do I make the use chest and container? They are putting all their stuff on the ground big time. My forteress is full of clothing on the ground which I can't either dump or make the store.

Same goes for training weapon after I switched the for real one. Don't dwarf uses chest to store their belonging?

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:17:33 pm »

Clothes go in cabinets, not chests. Chests are just for nobles, for now.

Weapons and armor aren't owned by individual dwarves, and go in stockpiles.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:58:07 pm »

O gosh... it explain why it's lingering on the ground all the time XD.

Does it worth it to set cabinet for specific soldiers since they seem to like to put all their stuff over the ground? or just make some generic cabinet for all dwarf to store their excess?

Also... Some of my soldier in the same squad are 'training' and some are (soldier 'canot follow orders')

Why is that so? What is the second state of 'soldier'?

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:07:58 am »

A cabinet in a dwarf's bedroom will automatically be assigned to that dwarf. I think you can set a room from a cabinet and assign it to a squad of dwarves, too, which might be useful. I don't know if dwarves other than soldiers use cabinets - I usually give them to all my dwarves just to help keep them happy.

'Soldier (cannot follow orders)' can mean a few things, including that you're running into some kind of bug. I'm not sure the best way to go about fixing it, though.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:32:49 am »

I just set some general cabinet, but nobody is using it to store clothing. Maybe container? Only bag and chest can be used.

The cloth pile is only for cloth piece... Maybe the finished good pile? I have seen dwarf storing some clothing from time to time, but all the stuff clog up the ground badly now.

I dont really understand all the 'room' and storing mechanic related to specific individual dwarf.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:05:07 am »

You know how to use 'q' to set up jobs at the workshops, right? You can also use 'q' on built furniture and stockpiles to change their settings. For furniture, doing 'q' and then pressing 'r' makes a room. What kind of furniture it is sets what kind of room is made, and when you do q-r you'll see a flashing area that shows how big the room is. You can make it bigger or smaller with + and - and [enter]. Any other furniture in that area will be part of the same room. Then when you're done making a room, some rooms allow you to set the room and the furniture in it to be owned by a dwarf, who will then use the furniture there.

I don't think cabinets allow you to assign the rooms that they make to specific dwarves, so what you want to do is make your beds into rooms with a cabinet in each room. Bedrooms are special; unlike other kinds of rooms, any dwarf without a bedroom can claim a bedroom that no other dwarf already owns. So: Build beds, make bedrooms with 'q' 'r', build cabinets in the bedrooms, and the dwarves will use the cabinets. If a cabinet is built somewhere not in a room, no dwarf will think it belongs to them, so they won't use it.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 02:02:35 am »

Nobles require cabinets and chests/coffers.
 If you ever make any clothes(finished good types,) any dwarf will claim them, and store in there bedroom, if they have one. If you put a cabinet in their bedroom, will move clothes to it.
 It helps if you assign bedrooms, with a cabinet to your soldiers. They will store clothing that their uniforms replaced. Also add a coffer/chest in their bedroom. They will store old rations in it, which will remove the threat of stinky miasma
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

aaOzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 07:21:06 am »

Interesting. So I would only need to create a bedroom, then it will be claimed automatically if it is not claimed already? I guess that is a lot easier when my population gets bigger :)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 07:29:35 am »

You'd want enough bedrooms for all of your dwarves, plus a few extra for kids or migrants, but yeah - just setting them up is fine, you don't have to assign them all to the dwarves by hand.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:34:25 am »

What happens if bedrooms overlap? Do cabinets just get assigned to the first room, does everyone use cabinets in their room regardless of whether others have put stuff in, or what?

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 10:39:54 am »

I suspect that the cabinet will be considered owned by all the relevant dwarves, and they'll all try to use it. I'm pretty sure that each cabinet can only hold 5 or 10 items, though, so that won't really work very well.

What you could try, for a communal storage area, is designating a large bedroom, setting it as a dormitory (so it's a public space, and dwarves won't be able to claim it), and filling the rest of the space with cabinets. I haven't actually done that, but I suspect it would work.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 08:28:00 pm »

Clothes go in cabinets, not chests. Chests are just for nobles, for now.

Weapons and armor aren't owned by individual dwarves, and go in stockpiles.

Chests (coffers) are also used for hospitals.

Cabinets seem to only hold 5 items.  Which is why most of my dwarves get a bed + 3 cabinets in their tiny 2x2 bedrooms.  This is especially critical for any military dwarves who need a place to store their extra clothes (and you may even wish to plan on giving them 5 cabinets).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:29:39 pm by wuphonsreach »