Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raw clear glass is not consumed  (Read 415 times)

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raw clear glass is not consumed
« on: October 19, 2006, 02:11:00 pm »

I was tinkering around with glass and discovered that for some reason the raw clear glass is never consumed whenever I make windows, statues, or doors (probably all sorts of furniture though).  I've had the same two pieces of raw clear glass in the two workshops ever since they were first used (They don't get hauled back either).

On a side note, totems are worth far too much.  Considering they're my only way to reliably get rid of skulls right now (Don't want to reach the chasm yet) that same fortress can buy out everything in the caravans with just one or two.  They're also preventing my dwarves from buying the shops because having the totems in them makes the shops worth over 7000.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raw clear glass is not consumed
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »

eh... that might be because you don't actually use raw clear glass (or any raw glass) to make glass items.

you are still using up the ingredients (ie pearlash/etc) that you use to make the type of glass.. in order to make the glass items..

raw glass is for cutting into gems type things.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »

"Raw" glass is a type of gem.  Your jewelers can cut it then use it to encrust something with glass.  Making glass furniture doesn't require having raw glass.

A magma glass furnace churning out raw green glass is the best way to keep jewelers working in their trade.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »

Weird, still it makes to sense that it's not getting hauled to my gem stockpile.  There's plenty of room and plenty of bins.  =|

I assumed it was the same process with glass and metal.

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 10:16:00 am »

Side note, the totem values are a bug. They accidentally substitute the modvalue for a griffon no matter what kind of skull you've used, meaning they're worth fifty times more than they should be in most cases. As a workaround until the next release you can go into the raws and change the modvalue of griffons (in creature_fanciful) to one, which gets them back down to a sane base value. That gets totems down to the point that they're just bone carving practice.