Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksman bug?  (Read 994 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Marksman bug?
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:32 pm »

I've seen quite a few of these subjects this week... Talking about buggy Marksman.

They seem to be stuck on 'soldier (cannot be ordered)' from time to time to all the time. One of them that was stuck started to train on archery target again after I removed his job from the labor list, only leaving healthcare, hauling and cleaning. Then, it got stuck again...

On Magmawiki it sais that this behavior is only triggered when an ennemies is in sight and behing engaged. So it would seem that my marksman are detecting underground monsters and try to engage them, but just linger in the waiting room doing nothing.

They do train, but it random and unclear what affect what. NB : That have quivers, crossbow, 1500 arrow stack and they are set to the default active/training alert and they are assigned to their archery target.

Anybody encountered the same problem/bug?

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Marksman bug?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:56:53 pm »

Constantly.
But, I now know how to fix it, in my own game at any rate.

You need to give them both an archery range and a regular barracks to train in, and they split their time between them.
Only when doing this do I not get the (cannot follow orders) problem.

This assumes that you know the other things to do, like assigning ammo and all that jazz.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:20 pm »

Well... If you choose the archer template they automatically acquire ammo... Or am I wrong?

Having them to train at regular barack is good too since making them hybrid will let them defend themself better at close quarter combat. On guy on the forum confirmed me it's possible to wear and use both crossbow and sword at the same time, the dwarf will switch it on need and wont charge when out of ammo if restricted on wall with burrows.

Guess I'll just make them a 1/4 close combat 3/4 range training schedule.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:53:00 pm »

The bug is triggered by the dwarf emptying their quiver. They go pick another stack of arrows and then go 'soldier'... Thats suck :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:04:59 am by Marble_Nuts »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:26:25 am »

I fix this bug by not using marksmen. Far too buggy. I just have an overabundance of fighters. Marksdwarves would be nice to have, but not worth the headache to me.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:09 am »

You need to give them both an archery range and a regular barracks to train in, and they split their time between them.
Only when doing this do I not get the (cannot follow orders) problem.
This seems to fix the problem for me, too.

The only time I see "(cannot follow orders)" now is after I've used the squad move command to get them in the right place to see off a pack of crundles, or panda men, or whatever.  After returning the squad to normal orders, some squad members may briefly get that status.