Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is what happens...  (Read 1236 times)

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
This is what happens...
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »

...when you have soil in your fort and connect it to the underground. I had a dorf enter a strange mood, and he cloistered himself in his room. I figured that I just didn't have the proper workshop ready, so I see what his skill set is. The only thing that I didn't have that he might have used was a leatherworking shop. After building that, nothing. I start to get a little unsettled. I think, "Okay, maybe he just needs a glass furnace or something." After building two furnaces (one magma, one regular) I still have nothing. I'm really getting unnerved, until I look at his room: a tree had grown right in the doorway, and he just couldn't get out. After the tree was chopped down, little Mr. Zuglar claims a Mason's workshop, and proceeds to build a statue of an elf that just loves to travel. I now have a legendary Mason. Joy.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is what happens...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:14 pm »

So try some !science!

Make a spike trap, see if he can grasp onto the rocks as he falls, if he can, he's is worthy of being a legendary mason, if not, he's just a wannabe.  :D

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:17:32 pm »

So try some !science!

Make a spike trap, see if he can grasp onto the rocks as he falls, if he can, he's is worthy of being a legendary mason, if not, he's just a wannabe.  :D
"Why do I have no masons?"

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:02 pm »

So try some !science!

"Why do I have no masons?"

You train others. If he's a legendary mason, then the rocks themselves will save him. If he is not, the rocks will fail him and thus, he will fail you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:20:46 pm »

IIRC rocks don't have the [GRASP] tag in any of their limbs so they technically can't save your masons. Also falling objects exist in another realm until they reach their destination, then regular physics apply again. But rocks don't have the [OTHER_REALM] tag with [GRASP] either so it wouldn't matter.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 06:29:45 am »

IIRC rocks don't have the [GRASP] tag in any of their limbs so they technically can't save your masons. Also falling objects exist in another realm until they reach their destination, then regular physics apply again. But rocks don't have the [OTHER_REALM] tag with [GRASP] either so it wouldn't matter.

That was my point, be we'll say it's an expirement.  ;D

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 06:51:56 am »

So you kill off an actually VERY useful dwarf because he made the statue of an elf ?

That's stupid. We're villains, sure, but we should be pragmatic and not Stupid Evil.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 06:56:23 am »

So you kill off an actually VERY useful dwarf because he made the statue of an elf ?

That's stupid. We're villains, sure, but we should be pragmatic and not Stupid Evil.
BLASPHEMY!

Beat the elf and submerge him in magma!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:36:38 am »

Is the statue made out of coal, or does it have any wood whatsoever attached to it? If so, that mason is the hero of your fortress, as he has just gifted you with an eternally burning "statue" of an elf.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 11:05:38 am »

Perhaps to you but for !science! anything is a good thing.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:28:11 am »

~snip~ VERY useful dwarf ~snip~

what is that?