Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Curse of War [RTS, ncurses, Linux]  (Read 7528 times)

Iv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Curse of War [RTS, ncurses, Linux]
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 03:16:27 am »

Hi!

I love your game and I love linux, but we all know that even in the realm of ascii games, windows players outnumber us.

So I made a windows package (.zip) for those wanting to try the game under the Redmondian OS. Extract it anywhere and start curseofwar.bat in the root directory.

I wouldn't mind of you put it on another machine, this is just my DSL box, it won't hold much charge.

I only tested the single-player mode. I don't know if multiplayer works.

Technical notes :
I used a version from the July 18th and compiled it under cygwin. It it not necessary to have cygwin installed for it to run, but I included some cygwin DLLs and binaries into the package.

I first tried to make a real port, using CMake, but the network code is really tied to purely unix libraries. If your SDL version still uses them, just know that this will make it very hard to compile them outside cygwin. This is not necessary a problem, but programmers who want to contribute from the windows world won't be able to use their own tools.

About graphics, do you know that Battle for Wesnoth has a lot of hex-based tilesets that can be reused in open source projects?

I just saw that you have a sdl branch on your github. I'll try it!

Seeya
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:22:06 am by Iv »

cliff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 02:51:12 pm »

So I made a windows package (.zip)

I get a 403 Forbidden error when I try to download this, can you fix it?

koiwai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »

Hi Iv,

This is awesome news, thank you for this work! I was trying to do something like that, even removed the mutliplayer pieces to simplify things, but still failed (I tried mingw though).

The SDL version is purely singleplayer at the moment, and I believe, it must be possible to compile it even with mingw: there is no pause(), signals and stuff like that. I just want to let you know that the SDL branch on github has problems with the DESTDIR environment variable, dont use it for building and you will be ok (The discussion of the issue on github https://github.com/a-nikolaev/curseofwar/issues/22 ).

I don't mind to try to change the main code to make it more Windows friendly. Even though, for me, the main priority in development is SDL, then probably custom maps and campaings. But I can try to add winsockets code too.. 

If you wish to contribute more to the project, this is our contact information:

IRC: #curseofwar on irc.freenode.net
Mail: curseofwar-dev@googlegroups.com
Jabber conference: curseofwar-dev@conference.jabber.ru

It will be great if you can get involved, especially now, while the SDL version is still shaping up, and the code can be adapted for Windows.

About the Wesnoth tiles, it can be an interesting thing to use them, great point really. They may be a bit big, but probably fine for large screens? ) And in general, custom tilesets is a great thing for a game like this.

(Yeah, the link does no work.)

Btw, a new screenshot (SDL, not released yet): http://i.imgur.com/YWaT8j4.png

Iv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 01:36:49 am »

Totally sorry about the link. It is fixed.

Yes, I compiled the SDL version at home and it is totally gorgeous! However, without the information given by the curse version I would not have known how to play it :-)

I wanted to compile it under cygwin too to make a windows package, but the SDL is not present in cygwin packages. I can compile it manually but it will take a bit more time.

Are you saying that you have a version of the SDL one that doesn't use the network.c code? If so, I think I can make a CMake file for it that would make it possible to generate Unix makefiles as well as Visual Studio and QtCreator projects files. I'll try to grab someone on IRC. I am in the Japanese timezone, what's yours?

Iv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 07:11:19 am »

Aaaaaand my server's disk just committed seppuku. Sorry, I'll sort things out quickly.

koiwai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 03:09:20 pm »

We have to include the Windows package in the game homepage. And maybe store it somewhere (sourceforge? or any other similar hosting?).

In general there must be a way to find all up-to-date packages and information about the game. If the github wiki is not enough, we can move the homepage to github pages.
Pages: 1 [2]