Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumped items wont sink into water.  (Read 808 times)

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumped items wont sink into water.
« on: November 21, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

After I killed a horde of monkeys attacking my fort I dumped all their bodies in the local river. But instead of the bodies sinking down to the next z level, they stayed floating on top of the river instead. PIC

One z level below.

What do yall think the problem is?

ey

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumped items wont sink into water.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:34:00 pm »

Brooks are currently treated as solid ground with water in/on/under it, so that's to be expected.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Tyrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

Also, dead monkeys float.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:08:00 pm »

Yeah it would be pretty cool if people floated after they died but before they decomposed

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 06:14:00 am »

That would be realistic. When the body starts decomposing, it forms CO2 an CH4 in quantities large enough to make the body float. Hence it's an official term for a body that is recovered from the water after when it pops to the surface: Floater.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 09:36:00 am »

channel out the tile the monkey corpses are on and they will drop to the bottom. dwarves won't be able to walk on that square anymore but they can just go around it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

I channeled out a brook tile to drop some single bolts into the brook, but they just sit on the bottom. I was hoping they'd get pushed off the edge of the map, but no dice.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 11:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord:
<STRONG>I channeled out a brook tile to drop some single bolts into the brook, but they just sit on the bottom. I was hoping they'd get pushed off the edge of the map, but no dice.</STRONG>

That actually makes sense. The lower fluid layer of a brook is a kludge to make it work the way a little brook ought to: The water is but a trickle around lots of rocks and pebbles; when you channel out to the "real" water below, you're just creating a hole that gets filled by the water in the brook, since it's at a lower elevation. Anything you dump in that hole (or in the brook itself for that matter) is not likely to get washed downstream unless it's really light.

That said, objects with a density lower than water ought to float. Dwarven log-rolling, anyone?

[EDIT: Ooh, Adamantine is lighter than the woods given an explicit density in the raws. You could make a floating, oceangoing fortress gleaming in cyan! The stuff of legends!]

[EDIT 2: Anything in the raws with a density less than 998 should float in a temperate climate. (that's water's density at 20C; the units are 1000 in the raws = 1.000 gram per cubic centimeter.)]

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Alfador ]

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.