Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do YOU build your fort?  (Read 2726 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: How do YOU build your fort?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 12:34:03 pm »

I just build a 3x3 square of up-down staircases. It goes down and down to the magma sea, either punching through caverns using constructed stairs (if I feel brave) or being set to a side to go through an in-cavern pillar (if I don't feel brave). Along this spine of the fortress, there are rectanglish rooms, large and usually containing workshops and related stockpiles - as well as a few levels for bedrooms and dining halls. The lowest level contains magma smelters, kilns, glass furnaces, forges...

And then the stairs go up, too, forming a 10x10 or 11x11 square tower. I'd place barracks inside the tower if I knew how to military. One level of the tower is lined with fortifications instead of walls on the outside and has an inner ring of walls - kind of a marksdwarf balcony.

Usually, the lowest level of the constructed tower holds aboveground farms, and the level above it holds a drawbridge which is the only way in. In the next renditions, I'm planning on moving the drawbridge about ten z-levels up and making an alternative path of 1-width floors on the same level - lined with traps. It's fun to see goblins dodge off and splatter against the ground. And if any made it past, they'd have to bash down through several floors of the tower, filled with barracks...

The fortress is mostly underground, aside from the tower.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 02:13:08 pm »

Hmm... let's see. The current fortress is well underground, except for the initial penetration fortress, which is all within the top two layers of soil. (Aquifer) There's an above ground wall protecting the trade depot, which will eventually go up another level and then be roofed over.

Down 15 or so z-levels into the stone is the bedroom complex, which is several groups of 3x5 bedrooms plus some 3x7's for those pesky nobles and officers and mayor types who want more than meager. Eventually they'll live down at -4z. (Magma is down at -7.)

And I'm currently building an Aquifer Flush Entrance, though it's a little slow going. The area is kind of tree heavy and getting a 5 by 5 square cleared takes some patience. Then I have to mine out the two levels to drop into the aquifer to punch through. It's only a 3 by 3 entrance I need, but it's not easy to get.

That won't get connected until I'm sure it's flood proof. Once is enough. Need another windmill though. And to get in and chop down that stupid tree.

Primary bridge, which leads to the Trade Depot has two over hanging archer lookouts, which will be able to shoot over the dry moat. (Eventually I'll have a water moat as well, but the Magma is too far away to to be any use. Pity.)

I've never been invaded before though. Never had a fort last long enough. We're into year two, so we'll see.

---

I did at one point plan out a Tower Fort. One massive 30x30 King Tower, rising a majestic 40 z-levels, and four lesser Lord Towers, each rising 20 z-levels and containing central, spiral stair cases, filled with Weapon traps, and centers with fortified walls so my dwarf archers could shoot at the invaders as they attempted to ascend to the hanging bridges to cross into the King's Tower. The bridges of course only exist so that they can be dropped when the goblins are inside, falling 18z to the ground and being splatted by a de-constructing cave-in.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 02:13:41 pm »

I hate undug blocks, and two tile wide walls. I like symmetry. These things turned into my current fortress, Kolocig.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It may not be the grandest of places, but I just started it, and it is only the home of two Dwarves, so it doesn't need to be bigger.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 02:18:08 pm »

Usually have a 3x3 stairwell all the way down. and build design out from their. If i have alot of above ground z levels then i usually build apartment blocks and towers. Fortress usually slowly progresses into a city scape and then i either get killed by demons or die from boredom
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »

@Aramco: Looks like the map from the Atari 'Tank Combat' game. Awesome.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 06:46:33 pm »

@Aramco: Looks like the map from the Atari 'Tank Combat' game. Awesome.

It does, a bit, now that you mention it.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 06:52:40 pm »

I drill down in a spiral and add rooms and access between them as necessary. No corridors.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]